Specialized Splitter Build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i appreciate all the discussion on this.

here is the issue that i am having with the two splitter thing. one, we already have one big box store splitter that we have been using for many years. it has been a good splitter and we can continue to use it...but it has been breaking down more and more often. the two smaller splitters would be great for when we have groups of volunteers in and we can send them to different wood sheds to split on there own. but, when we don't have volunteers and it is just 2-3 of us working on splitting up what we have stacked, the second splitter will be sitting idle (the other guys working with me would not be able to split individually). this is where it would be nice to have a splitter that is a little more capable. am i making sense?

You are but its not as simple as you would like it to be. 2000.00 is not going to make you faster.

that is where the concept of the "log bucking table" come into play. when it is just a few of us working we could set a pile of logs on the table and buck them up. then the group could work on splitting everything that is up on the platform. when all of that is split we could set another pile of logs on there and while one guy is bucking up the new pile the other guys can be stacking the splits. whenever we have a group of volunteers coming i always pre-buck everything since i don't want to have to be handling a chainsaw and managing volunteers. so in this instance with everything already cut you could have one group of volunteers working the log lifter to continually supply the people working the splitter. make sense?

that is where the concept of the "log bucking table" come into play. when it is just a few of us working we could set a pile of logs on the table and buck them up. then the group could work on splitting everything that is up on the platform. when all of that is split we could set another pile of logs on there and while one guy is bucking up the new pile the other guys can be stacking the splits. whenever we have a group of volunteers coming i always pre-buck everything since i don't want to have to be handling a chainsaw and managing volunteers. so in this instance with everything already cut you could have one group of volunteers working the log lifter to continually supply the people working the splitter. make sense?

Not dollar cents.......Your trading work for work. 2 splitters makes more sense and it would be 20,000+ to make a bucking table out run an 800.00 ms 460 bucking. One 460 will keep 4 guys running all day long. You throw 2 saws in the mix and you got two good splitter crews cover up.

Reactions: mikefrommaine
i appreciate all the discussion on this... am i making sense?

Only if you come out and say, "guys, I just want to build a splitter."

I can fully appreciate the desire. Sounds fun, even. Unfortunately, It's going to be tough to build something better than you can buy, within your budget.

Reactions: mikefrommaine
This takes me back to post #8.;)

Its something to revisit for sure, but you made it sound maybe doable......Its time for a Jag Splitter pic! :eek:

Seriously - I wouldn't even consider this setup, especially with a gang of volunteers (how skilled?) all crowded onto a trailer with chainsaws going & splitters splitting. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

I would just wheel an ordinary splitter up to the rounds on the ground & have at it. If you're working off a pile of logs, give the chainsawing a head start. No need to move them from where they're laying with lifts or whatever. The amount of wood you're talking could be done like that in a couple weekends, with relatively little effort, with that many hands.

Reactions: smokinj
......Its time for a Jag Splitter pic! :eek:

This is what $276 can get ya:
splitter1.jpg

Or what $600 can get ya:
easy1.jpg

With 2 grand to play with - it would be a box wedge or a hydraulicly adjustable multi-wedge.

And personally - a log lift is a must:
2006_0304(001).JPG

Reactions: smokinj
What's the hand crank boat trailer winch for?

There isn't one. There is an electric winch (12V). That is the lift for the log lift. 1500 pound winch. Works great.
100_1544.jpg

Reactions: triptester
No - that splitter predates my time here. There is one for the little one in my sig line.

After all the parts were gathered, I built it in a weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.