Specifications Alderlea T5 & Jotul 550 Rockland

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

odd4even

Jan 14, 2013
Specifications Alderlea T5 & Jotul 550 Rockland

Trying to decide on these two models. The specifications confuse me.

The Jotul 550 is larger, shows 65K BTU, heating capacity of 1,800 sq. ft, efficiency of 75%, and emissions of 4.5.

The Alderlea T5 is smaller (people say it uses Summit Box, but as far as I can tell, it does not), shows 34.6K to 72K BTU, heating capacity of 2,000 sq. ft, efficiency 82.6%, and emissions of 3.4.

Questions: Are these specs an accurate way of gauging the stoves abilty to heat? If there is not an industry standard, then it is comparing apples and oranges. If there is a standard, the Alderlea is a better stove. The Alderlea is significantly smaller, yet according to specifications it is more efficient, less dirty, and has more heating capacity. I guess I am suspicious that a significantly larger stove does not have the heating capacity of the smaller stove. I like the look of both stoves and simply want to buy the one that heats the best. Any feedback would be helpful.

I'm not too familiar with inserts as I have a freestanding Jotul. It is likely that Jotul overstated there firebox capacity in relation to the Alderlea. My F55 claims almost 3cu feet. The usable firebox space is just over 2 and a quarter. My opinion is that the T5 firebox has a tremendous reputation as well as regulated secondary air which I am a big fan of. My .02, go with the alderlea.

The T5 uses the Pacific Super firebox - 2 cu ft. It is closer to the C450 in size. The C550 has a larger, wider firebox.

Take a look also at the Enviro Boston or Venice 1700. It falls in between these stoves in size and has a good reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.