speeco 22 ton splitter maitenance questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
I have had this speeco splitter for 2 years and have only done oil changes on the engine a couple times but not the hydrolic fluid or filter. What kind of hydrolic fluid do I need , how much, and what filter? Also can I just get it at an auto parts store or home depot, or do I have to go to Tractor Supply which is a hike for me.

Changing the filter probably won't make much difference in the oil so you should not have to add any.

There is no reason to change the hydraulic oil, unless it is very dirty or contaminated. Change the filter regularly. I do it bianually, splitting 4-5 cords/year.

Any AW46 hydraulic oil will be fine. I think ATF is recommened for cold weather use. You should probably get a gallon to top off.

Unless they have changed something, be prepared for a bit of a mess when changing the filter. The housing is below the oil level in the tank, and there is no shutoff. Have the new filter ready, and be fast.

Reactions: aussiedog3
Yes just change the filter. Be ready with the new one ready to go on because the fluid level is above the level of the filter and oil runs out quickly.
Unscrew the old one and quickly get the new one on.

Status
Not open for further replies.