Speeco Splitter, wedge bolt problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
I split vertical, about 2 cord today & noticed the bolt digging into the wood.
Never noticed it when splitting horiz.
Sometimes it gets stuck & lifts that side of the split up, then drops it, (watch your fingers & toes when it falls)
Thinking to measure & buy a 1/2" or 3/4" shorter bolt.
Are they grade 6 or 8 or just a standard Lowes bolt?
maybe just hacksaw it off & put a ny-lock nut with no washer to get wood clearance.

Attachments

• 100_4563.jpg
    100_4563.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 397
  • 100_4568.jpg
    100_4568.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 381
Hack or Sawz-all should clean it up.

zzr7ky said:
Hack or Sawz-all should clean it up.

An angle grinder would work also if you find that it's a hardened bolt and difficult to cut with either of the above methods.

Ja, just grind it off. You don't want a shorter bolt cuz the threads will be in the shear point.

LLigetfa said:
Ja, just grind it off. You don't want a shorter bolt cuz the threads will be in the shear point.

AAAH, good point. I'll mark it, saw it off, grind a little taper then chase the threads,
If I have a ny-lock nut that size put it on.
Couple other things I need to do to it anyway.

tighten it up, cut off with a hacksaw, then lightly peen over the end of the thread that sticks out and you have it set without disasembly or chasing threads.
Nylock is good, but also thicker so it will stick out more.

Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with a torch, beat to fit, paint to match, inspect it with a microscope. :)

kevin j said:
Nylock is good, but also thicker so it will stick out more.
Good point. The original nut on mine was punched to distort the tread and you can see it is thinner than the nylock.

Here is a page of several different style lock nuts.

http://www.lok-mor.com/products.html

It looked to me, like the push force is on the ram & wedge (looks like they touch) & not on the bolt.
The bolt looks like it is just to pull back & keep the ram & wedge connected.
Probably metric any way & I don't have a nylock that would fit.
Maybe "keep it simple" is my best choice & just cut off the excess
bolt threads that's causing the problem with a hack saw where it is & call it good. :)
Grind off any sharp edges.

No measuring or marking needed that way

Ja, there is only pressure on the bolt when the ram/wedge is being retracted. On mine I did a short-stop mod which put much more force on the bolt so I needed to beef it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.