speeco vs. harbor frieght 5 ton electric splitters. Which one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra427

Jul 3, 2014
NY
I am looking for a 5 ton electric splitter. I believe I have narrowed it down to the speeco (sold by tractor supply) and the harbor freight version.

I believe both of the above allow one hand one the wood and one hand on the control.

Which one would you go with and why.

The only reason I wouldn't buy the HF one is that the one sitting on my breezeway is doing a great job.

I have an HF and never use it. Maybe once in a while during the winter to re-split a couple in the garage. If you can, I'd put that money towards a gas splitter.

asto the unit likely the same, better support from Speeco though. Have an early hf unit here about 8 years old still working although I seldom use it as it is only 14" max. it was fine when I had a small stove ( 14" was it max log size)

I'll second the acknowledgement of Speeco's support folks. I had to contact them with an issue on my Huskee 22-ton, and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of service, for a homeowner-grade machine.

Well I compared the two some more. The Speeco has a good history when it comes to wood splitters and I took into consideration when you guys said positive words about Speeco's customer service. The Speeco also has slightly larger wheels going for it.

However, I went with the HF for a few reasons. HF was 279 but also had a 25% off sale which is nearly $70 off for a total of $209. Shipping added $7 back so $216. The Speedo was $299 with no discount. That is a $83 difference in favor of HF

I watched videos of the two in action. The HF looks like it has a slightly larger area for the wood to fall onto after it is split.
I think the weight of the HF is 10 to 15 pounds more. To me the extra weight could possibly mean a slightly stronger machine.
I looked at pictures of the two online and they are very similar. They sounded similar, cycled similar, looked similar. The price point was a major factor and what appears to be a larger surface area helped the HF.

Bunch of these on market, all sourced from same supplier ( chi-com) various cosmetic differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.