Speeding up "seasoning" process of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magus

Nov 17, 2010
Michigan
Hello All

I have a crazy question

I am new to wood burning and wanted to know is there a way to speed up the seasoning of my wood if I get if from a dealer.

I have a 7x7 (I believe) Ceader dry sauna that I dont use....(it's too dang hot) Can I stack the wood in this room and turn on the dry sauna to help dry out the wood.

Yes, also - split it smaller :)

I would think it would cost you more to dry your wood that way though than you'll save heating with wood.

I would say the sauna would be wasted effort. It's not going to produce kiln like temps.

The largest kiln dry firewood producer (Gish in PA) dries it's splits in 48 hours using heaters that burn the factories sawdust. USDA specifies a certain temp that must be reached and maintained to kill off insects so that the firewood can be transported and sold. Also to reach 8-10% MC.

I would seriously doubt a home sauna could help in seasoning wood. How about the oven?

The best method is to stack the wood in full sun and wind for a year. If you need good wood now, buy some already seasoned.

Your answer maybe pallet wood plus the drier of wood you have, at least for this year. I got through my first year by doing this.

If you want to try it this way, also get a big fan and blow directly on the wood.

Better yet. Buy wood now. Burn next winter.

Even better. Buy wood now. Burn in 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.