Speedy White fireplace cleaner, prep work for Oslo install (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-PB-

Feb 28, 2010
MD via Philly
Since the previous stove is out, I took the oportunity to clean the soot, grime, etc from the fireplace that hasn't been cleaned for probably 30+ years. I should have done this before the previous stove install but didn't. Fireplace is circa 1975, and used as such until we moved in-2007. I don't know how much the previous owners used the fireplace but judging by the 4 applications of Speedy White and several hours of scrubbing with a wire brush, I would say alot. This is about as clean as it's going to get and with the Oslo being installed on Tues I don't think you will be able to see behind the stove much anyway. Before and after pic. Anyone have any better luck with a different cleaner?

Attachments

• B2 5thbday 011.jpg
    B2 5thbday 011.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 304
  • B2 5thbday 013.jpg
    B2 5thbday 013.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 303
I see you cleaned the face brick also - glad to see that as it seems some people don't. I spent 2 days cleaning the face of our fireplace before our Oslo install. Yes, I even had a tooth brush for the cement lines. Inside looks good. You really won't see much of the inside once the stove is in there. Looking good! :)

Looks great look forward to seeing the stove installed..

Ray

Does the bottle say what the active ingredient is in Speedy White? Their website appears to be lacking any product info or safety data.

BeGreen said:
Does the bottle say what the active ingredient is in Speedy White? Their website appears to be lacking any product info or safety data.

funny you ask...I was wondering the same thing. The bottle says "warning - contains sodium hydroxide". Smell has a strong ammonia type smell to it. I would make sure your area is well ventillated before using.

raybonz said:
Looks great look forward to seeing the stove installed..

Ray

Tues is the day... pics to follow.

-PB- said:
BeGreen said:

funny you ask...I was wondering the same thing. The bottle says "warning - contains sodium hydroxide". Smell has a strong ammonia type smell to it. I would make sure your area is well ventillated before using.

Thanks, sounds like lye.

Status
Not open for further replies.