Spencer stove - insulating firebox (inside) with tiles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vasonline

Oct 7, 2013
Hi,

Thanks for this great forum!
(sorry for my bad english - not native)

We have a Spencer 80's air tight wood stove.
It is installad in our living room.
This was a boiler model. It was connected to the central heating system, with a separate circulation pump, and a thermostat.

Due to safety reasons (and others) this was disconnected, and the water was drained out of the sides of the stove.

The stove has worked fine without the water heating. In fact I would say it worked a little better than before.
I now would like to isolate the firebox (inside) a bit more. I guess this would improve efficiëncy?
Mainly the sides (were the water was in the hollow side-wands). And the back of the firebox.

I bought a few insulating fireproof ceramic tiles.

How does one safely attach them to the inside walls of the stove?
Can I use regular fire proof glue? I still have some left over from replacing the door seals.

Maybe I'll post a picture.

Greetings and thanks in advance,

Last edited:
No glue should be used in the firebox. On method would be to weld or bolt on some Z metal to hold the tops of the firebrick. Or set the side firebrick in place and then put in the bottom firebrick against it to keep the vertical brick standing upright.

Reactions: vasonline
I don't think it would bind/adhere well with wood constantly banging against it.

Welcome to Hearth.com!

Status
Not open for further replies.