Spent Thanksgiving on my hands and knees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryS

Nov 21, 2008
Central MO
Cleanin this da#$ creosote off my brick. I have a flue liner kit coming that will hopefully take care of the condensation problems. Stains came mostly from water running down the flue and going through black soot at the bottom of the cleanout. still some discoloration left but I'm satisfied.

Before
P1050381.jpg

After
P1050419.jpg

Looks good !!

Where did the dog go?

Nice job!

Dog was a fair weather friend, eh. Took off at the first sign of work. Probably just as well with the harsh cleanser you had to have used to get it that clean.

The dog took off chasin squirrels all day. He's back now enjoyin the fire.

I used Rutland brick cleaner first until I got everything off and then I used some "DEFY Safer Brick & Masonry Cleaner" on top of that. I was going to use muradic acid but this stuff was supposed to do the same job and be safer to use. I guess that's why they can charge 8 times as more. Working around the carpet was a trick so I had to keep the shop vac in one hand at all times. The process was Cleaning Spray -> Soak -> Scrub -> Water Spray Rinse -> Vac. Repeat 347 times.

Good job, looks alot better. Hope that liner works out for you. Is it just me or does that horizontal run of stove pipe look like it's going down slightly to the crock? If it is, that may be a source of more creosote?

Goldenearringz said:
looks like you used "dog-remover"

i think it's called "Spot remover." :cheese:

Can you put some kind of sealer on the brick so it cleans easier next time?

Status
Not open for further replies.