spent the past three days splitting.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

The mountain of wood in my staging area! Started splitting on Friday evening, that was the poison ivy-covered dead white oak we dropped last weekend. UGH.......I dreaded doing it, but hated to waste the heartwood in that tree. Ended up taking all the sapwood and bark off with the splitter as I split up the heartwood. Took all that poison ivy-tainted bark and sapwood up into the woods to rot, ended up with almost half a cord of good heartwood from that white oak. Then moved on to a big dead slippery elm from that same jobsite, got it all split up next. Then onto the MOUNTAIN of maple I had sitting here. Spent all day today splitting that heap. All told I got around 4 cord give or take, sold a cord to my one boss at work for campfire wood.

2012-07-11_17-23-26_265.jpg 2012-07-11_17-23-41_977.jpg 2012-07-14_14-44-11_920.jpg 2012-07-15_12-29-03_245.jpg 2012-07-15_12-29-12_280.jpg 2012-07-15_12-33-04_522.jpg

Nice work Scotty....

Lookin forward to the pics of that Bad A$$ 372XP....

(Nice lookin stacks in the background! :))

You picked a hot one to work on that........you're a better man than I. I almost went out on Saturday and started chopping up some slabs I have as it was about 80 here. Much better than 100. Changed my mind though and took the wife out for dinner and on to our favorite ice cream shop.

Reactions: ScotO
You picked a hot one to work on that........you're a better man than I. I almost went out on Saturday and started chopping up some slabs I have as it was about 80 here. Much better than 100. Changed my mind though and took the wife out for dinner and on to our favorite ice cream shop.

Ive been stacking for the last 2 weeks. A little here (a broken toe there). A little there.

One pic is just before I finished. Last pic is all 3 rows finished, at 36 ft long x 4 ft tall x 18" (+ or - 1/2").

This is wood for 2014-2015. I have 2 yrs worth up at the house and a little left in the barn.

Scotty, your staging area, splitting area, and stacking area, all look awesome. Love it ;).....

2012-07-14_20-36-21_65.jpg 2012-07-14_19-43-00_205.jpg

Ive been stacking for the last 2 weeks. A little here (a broken toe there). A little there.

One pic is just before I finished. Last pic is all 3 rows finished, at 36 ft long x 4 ft tall x 18" (+ or - 1/2").

This is wood for 2014-2015. I have 2 yrs worth up at the house and a little left in the barn.

Scotty, your staging area, splitting area, and stacking area, all look awesome. Love it ;).....

View attachment 70393 View attachment 70394
Mine don't hold a candle to yours bro. You, BogyDave, TfdCheif, Backwoods Savage, to name a few.....set a high standard. Your's is better!:p

I just got SICK AND TIRED OF LOOKING AT IT!!! I'm done with the cutting for a couple months, unless something really lucrative comes along. Gotta finish installing my Napoleon NZ3000 AND get the living room remodel finished before Thanksgiving, lots of jobs scheduled for fall/winter. I have enough wood to take me into 2014/2015 easily.

Reactions: DexterDay
Mine don't hold a candle to yours bro. You, BogyDave, TfdCheif, Backwoods Savage, to name a few.....set a high standard. Your's is better!:p

OK, OK...group hug, then everyone do a "high split" with each other, followed by a couple of verses of Kumbaya on our Ocarinas. If you don't have a real Ocarina, you can use your iPhone if you have the App.

http://www.clayz.com/kumbaya.html

That's almost creepy, Fossil.......like they say, "there's an app for that!"

Yeah...I don't think it's "creepy" so much as just "bizarre". I don't have an iPhone, but I know lots of folks who do. I can't imagine that there's anyone on the face of the earth who has a grip on all the Apps that are available. It's mind-boggling. Rick

Nice work for a hot weekend! I finally got all my logs cut up that I brought down in my yard this past winter, popal and hemlock. Not the best stuff but they had to come down since they were where my garage is going to go. Plus with having an excavator it takes a alot of work out of the process.

Lots of work there Scotty. Will you be stacking right there, or nearby? I see stacks.
Just curious, because I stack away from the splitting area (usually), and split right into a trailer.
Speaking of splitting, I finally got the last of the biggish W. Pine bucked up today, and plan to s/s as soon as the rain goes away. Might get close to 1/2 cord.
Shoulder wood.

YOU DA MAN!
You earned a 6 pack, on ice, next to a chair, to sit & stare at the mountain of split wood.
Great pictures.

PS: It's OK to stack bark side up or down if it's split vertical, but bark to the side is best :)

Reactions: swagler85 and ScotO
I hear you on the poison ivy issue, I got three loads last year of black locust from a tree that was cut down off craigslist. I was not paying attention, and missed that the last load from a different area had half inch poison ivy vines wrapped around it. MY GOD I was miserable the next 2 weeks.

Best treat that stuff like it will kill you, I did the same thing as you after I realized, chopped off the bark from the wood that was left and carefully set it aside, to save the good wood within.

Hope you were able to avoid it all enough, are you itchy yet? :p

I can't imagine that there's anyone on the face of the earth who has a grip on all the Apps that are available. It's mind-boggling. Rick
Rick, I pulled my Droid X2 out of my pocket last week and used it as a level on a piece of conduit i was installing in a locomotive, one older guy looked on in disbelief.....he said "you got to be kidding me, does that thing really work?" I said, "hell yeah, they got an app for that too!"

Reactions: zap
I hear you on the poison ivy issue, I got three loads last year of black locust from a tree that was cut down off craigslist. I was not paying attention, and missed that the last load from a different area had half inch poison ivy vines wrapped around it. MY GOD I was miserable the next 2 weeks.

Best treat that stuff like it will kill you, I did the same thing as you after I realized, chopped off the bark from the wood that was left and carefully set it aside, to save the good wood within.

Hope you were able to avoid it all enough, are you itchy yet? :p
When we cut the tree down, I was into that poison ivy like you wouldn't believe, I hacked all the vines off of the dead oak with a hatchet. Never got one bump out of it. Not a one. Fast forward one week, I am out there splitting that stuff the other evening, hardly touched that wood at all, and now I have lumps all over my forearms that are itchy as hell...:eek: ..guess I'm not as immune to it as I thought!

Awesome job there.Love that White Oak,about 30% what I cut/burn each year is dead WO.Grilled a couple cheap sirloin tip steaks (Santa Maria-style BBQ) over mix of dead Red/White in the Weber kettle last night,was quite tasty. :cool:

Great stuff.You definitely earned a break.

Awesome job there.Love that White Oak,about 30% what I cut/burn each year is dead WO.Grilled a couple cheap sirloin tip steaks (Santa Maria-style BBQ) over mix of dead Red/White in the Weber kettle last night,was quite tasty. :cool:

Great stuff.You definitely earned a break.
Thanks brother! Those steaks sound tasty indeed! That break you said I earned, we're heading out the door right now. Pics to follow.

View attachment 70393 View attachment 70394

Ya can't get grass to grow stacking wood down side up on it :p

Reactions: ScotO and DexterDay
Nice work S.O., so far I've never came across any poison ivy or OAK! ==c
S.O., what kind of yard tractor is that?

Zap

Nice work S.O., so far I've never came across any poison ivy or OAK! ==c
S.O., what kind of yard tractor is that?

Zap
Zappy that's an old 1964 Sears Custom. Has an ol' Tecumseh 7hp and a cast iron transaxle with super low gearing, that ol' girl would pull stumps out of the ground if it weighed a lot more....it had been sitting in my barn for 10yrs, finally decided to get after the carb rebuild this spring and she purrs like a kitten now. Really handy for moving wood around the jobsite.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.