Spitting red oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eujamfh

Dec 5, 2009
va
Tree service dropped a load a few weeks ago - red oak, 4ft at base, about 18ft of 3ft diameter logs, and then a lot more 1-2ft diameter lengths. tree was green - based on some leaves in the load.

When splitting some thing evening, I had one crotch that was pretty gnarly...as the 27t splitter was working, water was gushing out...one run the water actually spurted out 12-18 inches! You could actually see the glister of moisture on all the splits...no wonder red oak takes so long to dry!

Usually I bring all my wood to my stacking are to split, but this time I decided to split in the driveway. I am out of room in my stacking area, so I am planning on puttingthe red oa in a large pile in the drieway, and then stack it in the yard once I start burning this year (replacing the 3-4 your oak I will use this year). I am hoping that by keeping it on the blacktop, which gets sun 80% of the day hours will help shorted the 3-4 your old cycle for red oak...guess I will know in 2016!

Sounds like a well thought out plan, just don't forget to leave room for the cars.:)
By the sounds of it, you're ahead far enough to burn truly dry oak, that's beautiful thing on a cold winter's night.
Good job! A C

All that sap is quite common with many oaks. I cut a dead pin oak but when splitting, I still ran into plenty of moisture.

Don't forget that air circulation will dry the wood even better than the sun. We've stacked wood in total shade many times without any problems so long as it gets wind.

UPDATE - it is pin oak...still wet as all can be. I also found some room in the stacking area....just had to get a bit creative with the layout, but it will fit with a little lawn sacrifice.

I split them over the past week with temps hovering near 100 with 80 plus humidity. It was brutal but with hunting season coming, house projects looming, I had to get it done.

Its all split...now just have to move it to the stacking area which I should be able to do after work a few hours here and there. Flet good getting it done...will feel better in 3-4 years mid January!

Sound like you are on it. Good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.