Split a little wood today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsonfor

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2011
Greenwood county, SC
Man its hot. All i was doing was moving the rounds out of the trailer and then splitting them and tossing them into a pile about 7 feet away. I was soaking in sweat after. I guess it was 95F give or take a few degrees?

Anyway since we like pics here are a few of the pile i split today in the foreground and a smaller pile i split yesterday.

Attachments

• 0722121835a.jpg
    0722121835a.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 0722121835c.jpg
    0722121835c.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 153
You burning that wood this year or is it for next year?
Way too hot to be splitting right now, Im waiting til the end of Aug unless we get an unseasonable cool day before that.

Good work. Getting it that far feels good, now. Eh?
A nice slow pace stacking it up, & lots of water.
Then you're ready for another load :)
Nice pictures.

Looks good clemsonfor, what type of wood is it? I usually take three or four waters with me when working in the woods this summer, how much did you down?

zap

No that wood is not planned for this winter. It will be at least the next winter's wood. I wanted to get it split as soon as possible to take advantage of these high temps for drying. That is red oak mostly, with just a few and i mean few pieces of smaller white oak and cherry. There was about a 6" cherry tree i got and i obviously got some of the small white oak we cut. Me and a guy at work cut it up togeather and split the wood, he must of got most of the white oak. The wood has been cut and sitting on that trailer for weeks. I did not have any water with me as thats my house. I guess i drank a 32oz sports drink almost when i got inside.

Im a forester, if you did not read the sig line. This wood was left on a job for me by a logger. He could not out it all on the last load so he picked out a few good oaks to leave for me, instead of some trash tree. Its nice to have connections. This spot was on the way home so even though it was about 20+ mins from my house it was not out of the way.

Clemsonfor, LOL at "all I was doing..." Is that all?! SC in July, I can just imagine how fun that is. Humidity around here has been a bit off the charts lately; I sweat walking to the car from the house. Nice work, pace yourself.

Clemson, my hat is off to you splitting wood on a day like this.

Reactions: ScotO
Looking good, Clem. I take a water jug with me every job we go to in the hot weather, and I also pick up a jug of iced tea. Usually go through BOTH by the end of the job, and it ends up getting sweatted out! I can't tell you how many tee shirts I have ruined from cutting trees the past several years. Not from any physical damage, just from sweat. They go in the garbage after several jobs, no questions asked! Keep up that good work and stay hydrated.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Scott, for sure you are drinking the right stuff. Then drink more after it is done too. I hate this danged weather.

Scott, for sure you are drinking the right stuff. Then drink more after it is done too. I hate this danged weather.
I'm with you brother. I think I said it three times in the past 7 days already but I'll say it again......IS IT OCTOBER YET??

I just got a load from the local tree service.I let it set out back till we get some cooler weekend mornings.It just TOO HOT lately.

Well finished the rest of it off. A few small logs left from this winter, a few of the 35" or so rounds, that were buried under that massive pile in the back right(finially dug them out) of the pic, and a few narly white oaks about 12"diameter(about 5 ft long) than i have been putting off cause they split so bad.

I was literally soaking wet, about 5 sq"s of my shirt were not wet( the front part that falls over my shorts in the front), shorts were soaked. Wife came out to work the lever the last hour or so. Now i can load the splitter and return it to my wood cutting buddies house.

Now all i gotta do is stack that mess. The rows are so long in the back (14ft or so) that they want to fall over. I have pulled the elm out of the close stack to put into the shed in the very back for this winter. Then i was able to straighten out that row. I think im gonna put some butresses onto the outside rows to help hold it up. Then i think i will cut some tarps to top cover it. This stuff is drying pretty well in this summer heat we been having!!

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.