Split a round of Oak tonight - ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
First time working Oak and I don't care how easy you guys say it is, it is still heavy.

Attachments

• 081711 split 1.jpg
    081711 split 1.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 602
  • 081711 split 2.jpg
    081711 split 2.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 625

Attachments

• 081711 split 3.jpg
    081711 split 3.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 579
  • 081711 split 4.jpg
    081711 split 4.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 575
Very nice Solar, how long have you had the oak rounds?

zap

24 hours

If that is white oak, which it looks like, it can be tough to split. Especially if you do it by hand like I do.

zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:

Nice score.

zap

Very nice. Should have been milled but will make great heat. Need to get this batch split because I have at least two more loads to haul this weekend. January 2015 and 2016 are looking all good :)

GolfandWoodNut said:
If that is white oak, which it looks like, it can be tough to split. Especially if you do it by hand like I do.

I think it is red but I have never had Oak before. Kind of salmon in the middle fresh cut.

Attachments

• 081611 red oak2.jpg
    081611 red oak2.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 549
PapaDave said:
Let's see, 24 hours, I'd give it another 24 months or so. :coolsmile:
Good score, S&W. How much did you get?

Lol, it has plenty of time before it is needed. 2.5 so far.

I here you on the oak is heavy. Even the splits require 2 hands if you like your toes not to be sore the next day. Nice looking score!

Derek said:
I here you on the oak is heavy.

Heard that...that one round cost me 2 beers :lol: Got a bunch of the smaller stuff out of the way after that. Will have a little help tomorrow evening to bang through the rest.

Is this Red Oak?

Attachments

• 081811 oak id 1.jpg
    081811 oak id 1.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 479
  • 081811 oak id 2.jpg
    081811 oak id 2.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 471
Images on Google make me think the leaves look like Black Oak?

Solar, you are right. No matter red, black, pin, white or whatever, oak is heavy stuff. That is why you really need a vertical splitter. I split some red and pin last spring and it made me work up a sweat for sure.

Backwoods Savage said:
That is why you really need a vertical splitter.

Lol, I've got one. But, I'd rather roll the big ones onto the horizontal.

SolarAndWood said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

I think it is red but I have never had Oak before. Kind of salmon in the middle fresh cut.

I'm pretty sure this is black oak, but it is considered one of the "reds".

SolarAndWood said:
Images on Google make me think the leaves look like Black Oak?
I'd say Black. I've got Red and Black here. Black leaves have deeper sinuses, look similar to Pin leaves.

SolarAndWood said:
Backwoods Savage said:
That is why you really need a vertical splitter.

Lol, I've got one. But, I'd rather roll the big ones onto the horizontal.
A peavey sure comes in handy for moving the fat ones into position if you're splitting vertical.

lukem said:
SolarAndWood said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

I'm pretty sure this is black oak, but it is considered one of the "reds".

+1

Yes its have as hell, but thats what makes it so nice to burn in your stove, once you burn oak you'll hate to go back to softer woods.

Does it stink like cat piss? Red Oak. Good stuff! I have been working on a couple big Red Oaks most of this summer. It stunk up the neighborhood.

Flatbedford said:
Does it stink like cat piss? Red Oak. Good stuff! I have been working on a couple big Red Oaks most of this summer. It stunk up the neighborhood.

Everyone says that but I like the smell of freshly split red oak, myabe I like cat piss :lol:

Me, too. Most of the red oak smells nice--kinda like oak boards at the lumber yard but stronger. I will say that, every once and a while, I'll run into some that smells like cow manure, and it's usually a pin oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.