Split Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This was just starting to split this spring, opened up even more so it's just a matter of time.

zap

Attachments

• 100_6037.JPG
    100_6037.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 161
Lightning?

I don't think so, it would have a burn mark if it was hit,correct? Not a mark on it.

zap

Hard to tell from the picture, but is the tree still standing? I can only guess a strong wind maybe bent it, then it split, but had a good root system. OR, you are THAT good when you can split a tree before you fell it! Be well

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: ScotO and zap
Don't matter now. Gonna be a hard one to drop safely.
Winch it over? Leave it for MN to take care of?

Still standing, since it is split does that mean the drying process has started? ::P
zap

Reactions: Dairyman and ScotO
Don't matter now. Gonna be a hard one to drop safely.
Winch it over? Leave it for MN to take care of?
I pick MN, it's on a secondary trail which we do not have to use.
zap

Still standing, since it is split does that mean the drying process has started? ::P
zap

Something is absolutely wrong here zap. I know you like to split vertical but how in the world do you get them splitting before you even take a saw to it? You and backwoods savage have some secret society of vertical tree splitting going on? Please tell! :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: zap
I'm thinking Chuck Norris was walking by, gave that ash the hairy eyeball and caused it to split.

It looks like the crack started at the bottom....I don't know what that means though.

Me stand clear...

I have some similar looking trees here. This amateur tree cutter lets Mother Nature fell those! I'm guessing drying may be very slow since roots are still attached. Interesting that it appears to be split right down to the ground?

I'd say the wind did that. Got 'er twisting and turning and made 'er split. Each successive wind you get, is one step closer to the tree folding over. She'll probably come down sometime this winter on her own...

I don't think I'd attempt to fell that one.

Can you imagine the static energy that thing could posses? A bit scary to think about.

Looks like a cats paw at the trunk water+cold=ice. Stuff has amazing force. Gravity's keeping the process going.

This was just starting to split this spring, opened up even more so it's just a matter of time.

zap

Thats ugly! Stay safe.........

Mother Nature will get the job of bringing it down, I won't even go down that trail. :eek: I'll need to put up a warning sign so the herd can use another trail! :)
zap

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
Keep the deer away zap.

Status
Not open for further replies.