Split Firebrick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmund

Dec 4, 2006
I have a out of production Vancso Tremont Wood/Coal Stove made in 1982. All of the interior firebricks (split size) are cracked in half. Each measures 13.5 " in height versus the now standard 9". I went to a Brick place and the Salesman told me the ones I have are no longer produced . He said that I can just install the 9" and top up the height by cutting another brick and placing on top.

My question is this: Is this safe ?-Will the "gap" between these pose a fire hazard ?. If so, any way to overcome this ?? If not, can i then just stick with the originals and their cracks ? Does anyone know where to get the original size bricks. I have tried many Web sites to no avail. I did find a few sites that said Harman bought Tremont and support their parts etc. That company will not talk with consumers and they just direct you to their dealers-who don't know the answer to my question.

Thanks.

How about using some refractory morter (easily purchased at Home Depot or similar this time of year) to stick the bricks together to form essentially a single brick? Seems like it would work and eliminate hassle of finding exact size brick.

Standard size brick is 9" X 4.5" and you need 13.5.
Take the standard size bricks and lay the bottom or top row sideways at 4.5" tall and then put the second row on top being 9" tall ............ta-da 13.5"

You'll have less bricks to cut. maybe 1 per side at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.