Split happens

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
Yup. Sometimes there's nothing you can do to stop it.

One nice thing about cutting/splitting down & dead wood is that the bark peels right off in the process.

Oh, and for those who have said that it takes too long for the Task Force (or other electric) splitter's ram to retract, I have never once found myself waiting for it. Splitting 14"-15" long rounds with a 6" block between the ram and the round, the average ram travel is about 6" until "split happens". The ram is retracted and ready long before I can remove the splits and load a new round.

Attachments

• wood3a.jpg
    wood3a.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 586
Hey CL, it is 120VAC, 15 Amps, 5 Tons (claimed), $250-$300 depending on whether Lowes has them on sale or not.

If you search for "Task Force" on this site you'll find quite a few posts on it. My hunch is, all of these electric splitters are made by the same company (in China) and all perform pretty much the same. Maybe the 5 ton models have a little beefier motor, and hopefully better hydraulics for the higher torque... When I called the 800 number last year to ask some questions, the recorded message rattled off quite a few brand names they supported, including Canadian Tire (?) or something like that.

Dad and I have used a Strongarm splitter for decades. Most of the time the stroke is about 0.6 seconds.

No complaints on my homelite 5 ton either. I guess it could be a little quicker but I'm never in a hurry.

I prefer to split with a maul but the splitter has saved my ass a few times. The red maple I've been dealing with spits the maul back at me but with some noodling and the splitter I get through it lol

precaud said:
Yup. Sometimes there's nothing you can do to stop it.

One nice thing about cutting/splitting down & dead wood is that the bark peels right off in the process.

Oh, and for those who have said that it takes too long for the Task Force (or other electric) splitter's ram to retract, I have never once found myself waiting for it. Splitting 14"-15" long rounds with a 6" block between the ram and the round, the average ram travel is about 6" until "split happens". The ram is retracted and ready long before I can remove the splits and load a new round.

I second that, with the 6 inch block. Also at times I use a small pry bar as well as a pruner to help with the stringy stuff. I rarely stand and just sit in the lawn chair with the ryobi with 16-18 inch rounds. the Ryobi is over 4 years old and leaking from the main seal but still has enogh UUMMPPHH to pop the rounds. when viewing pic , tilt your head to left lol

Attachments

• final.jpg
    final.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 340
precaud said:
Oh, and for those who have said that it takes too long....

Rule No. 1 - if it works for you, never let someone convince you that it doesn't.

I too find that this splitter is plenty fast as I tend to work alone and rarely need to wait .. I paid $220.00 or so for mine with 10% off etc. and posted about it here a ways back.. Great little tool for the money..

Ray

I wint for a bit of overkill and got a gas hydrolic unit.

I added an 8" block to the "foot" of the splitter to limit the log size to the 17" max my stove will take. That also minimizes the amount of wasted cycle time. I was waiting on the splitter until I added the block.

Ialso found I could have gotten by pretty well with less splitter by better planning whilst cutting. Cut the actual 'hard part' of the crotches into 'cookies' of about 4" thickness. These are then split into 'logs' of 4"X4" X tree diameter. Pretty low effort. Truely Nasty crotches are best avoided altogether (you may qoute this old Sailor).

ATB,
Mike

zzr7ky said:
Truely Nasty crotches are best avoided altogether (you may qoute this old Sailor).

Methinks that deserves a thread of it's own... %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.