Split Level Hotness DOWNstairs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinJansen

Jun 15, 2015
NYS
Hello... I recently moved into a typical split level home... We reinsulated the attic areas (We have two seperate attics, one over the main living area and another over the bedroom area)... This made a big difference keeping the heat at the end of winter...

However, now that it is warming up the main floor is a sweatbox... The upper floor (bedroom area) is not as warm and cools down reasonably well with the use of cieling fans and open windows... The main floor does not respond as well to the use of fans... From what I understand this is opposite of the typical split level whereas most people find the upper bedroom area to be hotter than the main floor.

Wondering if anybody had thoughts on why this could be? Options for resolving the issue? And the viability of attic/whole house fans?

It is just so frustrating to be sweating inside when it is a cool morning or night outside!

A few things:
- We were careful not to cover the soffits when reinsulating (roll and batt fiberglass, crossed to ensure seal)
- The attic over the bedroom has two small vents, one facing the front and one facing the back
- The attic over the main living area only has one (larger) vent facing the side of the house
- While both attics need to be accessed from different points there is a gap between the two to allow for air flow.
- In the attic over the bedroom area (where it is cooler) about 1/3 was made into a storage area so it does not have the extra high insulation as the rest of that attic and all of the main floor area attic.

Thanks!
MJ

Last edited:
I would try a basic, inexpensive twin window fan on one side of the main living area and open windows on the opposite side to draw cooler air through the space.

Whole house attic fans also work well but will be more expensive. Get one that is large but runs quietly at low rpm. If you go this route be sure that the ceiling grille in the main area is set up to be insulated and well sealed in the winter.

I was a little worried at first that this post was about somebody rather than some thing. ;)

Reactions: Dr.Faustus
I have a split level and feel your pain. I also live in the middle of a dense stand of tall trees, so we have no breeze in the yard when there is a slight breeze everywhere else.

Many moons ago I bought a direct drive 20" whole house fan rated at 6000 cfm on high. Even on low it was a bit too noisy and sucked in huge amounts of pollen & dust. It would even suck tiny skeeters through the window screens. I had installed it temporarily in my attic access hatch (in the MBR walk in closet) for testing purposes. I never got around to doing a perminant install, because I felt it was going to be too difficult to properly insulate the intake grill in the winter.

Several years ago I downsized to an early 90's vintage (pretty decently made) 20" box fan. Now I have less total air flow, less noise, less power consumption and 3 speeds to choose from. It is very easy to pop out and replace the insulation hatch during A/C times and in the winter months. The box fan has a piece of 1/4" plywood sandwiched between the grille and fan housing. It is wired to my attic light switch, which I swapped out and installed a 12 hour timer. I just unscrew the attic light bulb.

Whole house fan - $175. Box fan - already had it, 1/4"plywood - leftover piece that was lying around, 12 hr timer - about $20, couple feet of 12/3 romex with plug on the end - couple of bucks.

This set up works outstanding.

Hi Mustash29... What location did you settle on for the box fan set up you described? Did you keep it in the MB closet where you had the whole house fan initially? ... I was thinking the best/most unobtrusive place for a whole house fan (or other gizmo) would be in the ceiling above the 5-steps up from the main floor to bedroom area... This way it cannot be seen from the main floor and "should" still be able to move the air from the main floor...

Attic access hatch in MBR closet. We leave the bi-fold closet door open, usually run the 3 speed fan on low & leave the kitchen window & bathroom window open 1/2 way.

I work rotating shiftwork, so Iam sleeping during the day frequently. Having the fan on, BR windows shut and drawing air from the other end of the house does wonders for drowning out the neighborhood noise.

As far as our layout, the whole house is "2nd floor". The living room has 12 foot ceilings but the floor is 4' lower than the bedrooms, kitchen & dining room.

Heat rises, so as long as you install a fan in a high spot, you should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.