Split Level Ranch Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletierry

Jun 1, 2008
Central Maine
Not too happy about the $200 I had to dish out to have my pipes thawed out last night. Love the pellet stove but learned the hard way that I can not rely on it to be my primary hat source and have to alternate the boiler use also. Well, the problem with the split level ranch is the 2.5 ft overhang on the top level that has baseboard running along it with really nothing underneath it to give it some kind of warmth. So of course that area froze even though the pellet stove keeps my house at about 65 on the lower setting. Has this happened to anyone else? what was your solution? I was told boiler antifreeze would work. I have heard that is not a good alternative. Any opinions?

pelletierry said:
Not too happy about the $200 I had to dish out to have my pipes thawed out last night. Love the pellet stove but learned the hard way that I can not rely on it to be my primary hat source and have to alternate the boiler use also. Well, the problem with the split level ranch is the 2.5 ft overhang on the top level that has baseboard running along it with really nothing underneath it to give it some kind of warmth. So of course that area froze even though the pellet stove keeps my house at about 65 on the lower setting. Has this happened to anyone else? what was your solution? I was told boiler antifreeze would work. I have heard that is not a good alternative. Any opinions?

cycle the boiler a couple times a day when the temp is below freezing.

Eric

pelletierry said:

Hi Pelletierry,

That is the exact reason I developed ThermGuard. It is a device about the size of a small box of wooden matches that attaches to your thermostat. It turns on your boiler for you even when you are away or asleep. It is easy to install and program. You could set it to send warm water through your pipes for a few minutes every couple of hours. My pipes froze and burst....it cost me a lot more than $200 for my repairs...more like $4000 to re-do carpet, pipes, drywall and paint in my basement.

There is a 10% discount for Hearth.com members and free shipping. Please enter code: 101657512 in the vouncher/discount code. The hit the recalculate button.

The web site is: www.bearmountaindesign.com

Good luck!
John

Status
Not open for further replies.