Split now or in Spring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Just curious, since my racks are full and have nowhere to put any splits, but is now preferable or wait for spring when weather is warmer? Pros/cons.

If we didn't have below zero wind chills I'd split what I have laying around.

Now. Always now. It has to be taking up room already so your not really gaining anything by waiting.

Take it easy. It will be there in the spring.

Once there is snow on the ground I tend to hold up on my wood processing (although many other folks view this as the ideal time to start processing the wood with it cooler and no bugs). I am a couple of years ahead on my wood supply and would rather wait until I don't have to remove snow or worry about slipping . . . besides in early Spring there's not a whole lot to do as I am then in between snowmobile season and ATV season.

It always kinda bothers me if I have rounds sitting around waiting to be split. If I can split them and keep the majority of them off the ground I would do it.

Reactions: 1750
I like to split when it's cold out. You can work in a sweatshirt and not sweat. Plus some wood splits really easy once the moisture in it is frozen. I just throw my splits into a big pile and stack them in the spring.

I like to split in cooler weather too, easier on me and the splitter doesn't build up as much heat.

I have all my waiting rounds off the ground on landscape timbers atop bricks. Will the time between now and 4/1 buy me any significant drying worth the effort? Its all Norway maple.

I do most of my splitting in the winter as long as I can get to the piles thru the snow. I have more free time in the winter. I don't have room constraints. You could split and throw in a pile, then stack in spring, or just wait until spring if you have time then.

I have all my waiting rounds off the ground on landscape timbers atop bricks. Will the time between now and 4/1 buy me any significant drying worth the effort? Its all Norway maple.
Four months drying is a quarter of the time it would normally take maple to season. If you don't need to burn the wood for more than a year, waiting really won't matter.

The Fiskars splits everything here. My preference is the colder the better. All firewood processing is done in the cold except the stacking.

I've herd that once the Temps outside get below 40 deg the wood slows down in drying time. I hope someone will chime in and confirm this for me, but if that's true then splitting now won't be any better then if you wait till 50 deg days arrive. Or do it now and then when is 50 out you can just smile at it split and stacked[emoji7]

The quicker it gets spit, the quicker it dries.

IMHO.

That being said, if there's 2 feet of snow on the ground, I'd pass, and just get it off of the ground ;)

I like to split in cold weather. Great exercise and the ground is frozen so no mud. Cold or frozen wood seems to split a lot easier. Definitely the case where burning wood warms you up a couple of times. I don't like to split when its warm as there are a lot of things I would rather be doing and the extra warmth isn't needed.

Reactions: BSH1F
I'm a "Split it when I get it" guy. That being said, I may have enough rounds stacked that it takes me up to a month to get 'em all split because I split by hand.

I cut most of my trees in the winter after deer season ( Dec. on) then split and stack all winter long. By the time wamer weather comes in April we are busy getting ready for gardening and summer time fun. Sold a years worth of wood the last few weeks to some friends that could not find seasond wood so need to get caught back up to my 3+ year mark.

I cut all winter and pile up the rounds and logs - then get to splitting in the spring when the snow is gone.

Really depends on how far ahead you are. Often I have piles of rounds sitting out back for a year or more as long as I already have 2-3yrs of wood in the stacks already.

well you should split it now, just like I should be splitting the pile of rounds I've got.... now whether the pile of rounds actually gets split, is entirely different question...

I like to get all my wood processing done while my boat is out of the water. Once the ice is out and the rivers are open... my firewood for next winter needs to be split and stacked already.

I find that wood does split easier the colder it is. I do my best work around -20dF, the rounds split right open. At -40dF I feel like Thor, a tiny little tap and the wood just flies apart - downside is I have to be out in -40dF weather to take advantage of it.

I cut, split and stack in the winter.

I split everything I get as soon as I can and come spring I only have to stack.

Splitting sooner rather than later is the way to go......

Split now, sucks splitting when insects and gnats are buzzing your head and biting away at every pc of exposed skin.
Less sweat, and good winter exercise. Wood splits easier when frozen for me usually. I just love processing in winter, unless everything is buried in snow like last year.
I went at it in spring, and got bit and stung. Winter is for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.