Split oak still not dry after two years

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
I was planning on moving it under cover today and some of it is >35 on the moisture meter. It's spent one year stacked/split in high wind shady area and second year in high sun and wind area and still not done. :down:
I don't know how some of you dry your wood in a shed.

That's Oak for ya, I've seen sizzling Oak in the stove that was 3 years old before. Sometimes that stuff just doesn't want to give up it's moisture.

can u splitt it again?

I going right now....I have half a mind to go buy that log splitter right NOW. Check out my splits. Do these look to big? I don't know if that will help me this year. Does Locust take as long as oak? I may be in the same boat with that and if so I'll be hurting this winter.

Attachments

• work pictures 001.jpg
    work pictures 001.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 955
  • work pictures 002.jpg
    work pictures 002.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 985
if you can get another splitt then it will drop the rest of the mostier much quicker

When you guys check moisture w/your meter are you checking the center or all over. Just checked my locust and after splitting I got >35 half inch from bark and 15 on opposite end (middle was 22)

Your wood looks good and dry to me, moisture meters aren't the most accurate. Build a fire with it and see if it sizzles, if not you good to go.

Split it and check the middle... That should be the wetest spot other then right under the bark...

Cover the tops of your stacks! If rain gets on it, it has to dry off. If rain doesn't get on it then interior moisture can leave instead.

Thats the main reason a wood shed works. No new moisture is added.

Dune said:
Cover the tops of your stacks! If rain gets on it, it has to dry off. If rain doesn't get on it then interior moisture can leave instead.

That's the main reason a wood shed works. No new moisture is added.
One hour of sun and the rack is dried after a rain. I've had more trouble drying under my lean-to. I had one inch splits under cover for three years and it still sizzled when burned.

It looks like the larger pieces w/bark are giving me trouble. I originally split them larger for overnight burning. I'm sorting through the stack and splitting the larger pieces.

bsa0021 said:
I was planning on moving it under cover today and some of it is >35 on the moisture meter. It's spent one year stacked/split in high wind shady area and second year in high sun and wind area and still not done. :down:
I don't know how some of you dry your wood in a shed.

I know oak is the best firewood and all but the more I read about oak the more I don't mind not having much of it around here.

bsa0021 said:
Dune said:

One hour of sun and the rack is dried after a rain. I've had more trouble drying under my lean-to. I had one inch splits under cover for three years and it still sizzled when burned.

That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Dune said:
bsa0021 said:
Dune said:

In my experience, freshly cut wood will season more slowly if covered, and wet wood will dry more slowly if covered. I leave wood uncovered to start. Once seasoned and dry, thanks to sun and air, wood will stay dry if covered.

Bigg_Redd said:
I know oak is the best firewood and all but the more I read about oak the more I don't mind not having much of it around here.
Agree. I had some free oak last year that was mostly seasoned, pretty good stuff, but I'm not sure I'd want a bunch of green oak. Maybe to trade for something else.

branchburner said:
Dune said:
bsa0021 said:
Dune said:

In my experience, freshly cut wood will season more slowly if covered, and wet wood will dry more slowly if covered. I leave wood uncovered to start. Once seasoned and dry, thanks to sun and air, wood will stay dry if covered.

Thats fine but 1" splits under cover for three years? They sure weren't in a well ventilated wood shed.

Bigg_Redd said:
Yes, oak does take some experience, but once you have the know-how and can plan far enough ahead until it's ready, it's worth it.

bsa the splits look big for my stove...but yeah if you split them again they should dry faster. Maybe with any future oak you can find a spot in the sun for it...or leave it uncovered till just before the snow flies.

I just finished stocking my garage with 6 cord of wood for the winter. Most of it 2 ½ year old red oak. I split several pieces during the moving process and found the moisture % between 19 and 22%. I keep the top of my stacks covered with roofing rubber to keep it dry. I love oak, but it takes some management to insure it's seasoned properly before it's needed.

f3cbboy said:
i think moisture meters are over-rated.

In comparison to what?

in comparison to what the wood looks like, the sound when you bang two pieces together and how the wood burns in a fire. I think the post earlier that said make a fire and watch and listen was on the mark. maybe that was you Brother bart?

Sorry that earlier post was by Todd

I'm a little worried about my oak for this year. I split my stuff down to about half the size of your splits because I had read so much about the infamous oak seasoning time. My stuff will only be seasoned about 12-14 months by the time I get to it, we shall see......on the lookout for quicker drying stuff for next year so I can let the rest of my oak sit longer.

I have a cord and a half of red oak split and stacked July '08 - in the sun, wind, etc. Still reading up to 28% on some, but most is under 22%. I'll just use it on well-established fires if I need to. I've got 6 cords of mixed, dry hardwood besides that, so I'm not too concerned.

quads said:
Bigg_Redd said:
Yes, oak does take some experience, but once you have the know-how and can plan far enough ahead until it's ready, it's worth it.

No firewood is getting a 2+ year stay of execution in MY woodshed.

Status
Not open for further replies.