Split Rail

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannynelson77

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2010
PA
Found a good deal on Split Rail fencing, however the posts are pressure treated Poplar. I always thought Split Rail used Locust posts? Since the poplar is pressure treated, you think I should be fine with them?

I assume you're talking about using the split rail fence as a fence and not for stove fuel . . . I'm guessing being pressure treated would make them OK for use as a fence . . . but I wouldn't burn any pressure treated wood.

Yes use as a fence. Sorry to put it here but I didnt know where else to post this. Figured all you wood knowledgeable fellas would give me some answers. Thanks.

I think you'd be fine, Poplar is a good structural wood,and if it's pressure treated then all the better, I would still coat the bases of the posts with a sealant for some added protection.

No problem . . . a question like this normally would go into the DIY and General Non-Hearth section. No worries though . . .

found this on another site...

Poplar is sometimes used for posts and rails. Although this type of wood will adequately accept pressure treating chemicals, the material is prone to excessive splitting. Because poplar is not naturally resistant to termites and decay, it will not last without treatment.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.