Split Size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This is some of the last wood from what I cut in the summer 2008, guess I split a little big back then. Most of this is Sugar Maple so it should make for some nice overnight burns.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4729.jpg
    100_4729.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 676
  • 100_4730.jpg
    100_4730.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 591
  • 100_4731.jpg
    100_4731.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 588
Those will be some quality BTUs ZAP. Nice drying time. So how much snow did you get today?

About 3-4 inches of snow. The roads in Massena were pretty chitty, they had some sleet/freezing rain then the snow came, did you get that in the Burg.

zap

That's the way to do it, play your guitars on your MTV.

I loaded a massive Pignut 3 year old half round into the Oslo the other night, I should have taken a picture.
I had massive coaling after 10 hrs.

I'll get through this mild Winter on about 75 gallons of oil heat/hot water.

WoodButcher

What's the harm in a little big 4 years later?

Zap if yer calling them splits big, you'd throw up if you saw some of mine! I have some oak and ash that is more than twice the size of those splits, and it, too was cut in 2008. It is seasoned well, and gives fantastic overnight burns. I have started making a lot of my splits smaller since joining the Hearth.......

WOODBUTCHER said:
That's the way to do it, play your guitars on your MTV.

I loaded a massive Pignut 3 year old half round into the Oslo the other night, I should have taken a picture.
I had massive coaling after 10 hrs.

I'll get through this mild Winter on about 75 gallons of oil heat/hot water.

WoodButcher

I here the Oslo 500 is a awesome heater. Hate burning it this late but we are saving some Cherry for the middle of March on plus we have some nice Beech that will be restacked in the same area the Sugar Maple came from for next year.

zap

zapny said:
About 3-4 inches of snow. The roads in Massena were pretty chitty, they had some sleet/freezing rain then the snow came, did you get that in the Burg. zap

I heard about that stuff in Massena. Ours was all snow, maybe a little sleet. No freezing rain. Probably got 4" total. Looks like a good portion of it will be melting away on Saturday. 48 °F! Strange stuff.

Not any harm Solar, usually our splits are a little smaller.

Scotty Overkill, I have not noticed a difference when cleaning the chimney from burning smaller splits compared to bigger splits, how about you.

zap

zapny said:
Not any harm Solar, usually our splits are a little smaller.

Scotty Overkill, I have not noticed a difference when cleaning the chimney from burning smaller splits compared to bigger splits, how about you.

zap
not too much, maybe just a little more fine flakes HOWEVER that could be related to the extremely mild weather we've had almost all dang winter. I like to run bigger splits at night, but we both know how the draw acts in milder temps. Either way, the chimney isn't bad, but there is a little more smoke coming out of the flue at the initial loading of those bigger splits.

Those look just right to be called "nite-nite splits". Works fine, lasts a long time.

Nice splits you got.

Looks like they will be great for long burns.

Haha, I used to split that big... all of them. Then I learned to put that size in the back and half to less than half that size everywhere else. And now I don't have a stove load of coals after 6-8 hours and it's just right to rake to the front and start again.

Zap - I find that I split all sorts of sizes. Sometimes it just depends on WHAT I am splitting. Nice large rounds of white oak and I might be making some pretty big square blocks. Limb wood, I might be making the smaller "in between" pie splits.

I have been trying to mix up the sizes recently.
I have 2 cord of cherry I split earlier on in the year close to that size, some bigger.
Last week I split another cord of cherry and made them half that size. Man it takes a long time, especially with the Fiskar.

I still have maybe 3 cord of ash, cherry, sycamore, hackberry, I am going the rental splitter on the rest.

Zap, I find the further I get ahead (probably 4 years or more now) the bigger I make the splits. Plenty of drying time and fewer reloads. I use the smaller stuff in front on a fresh start.

We are 79 today

clemsonfor said:
We are 79 today

Nice, send some of that chit up here. I think we hit about 39 today with some warmer temps with high winds for tomorrow, then the temps drop again for the next three days.

zap

Well my trailer always seems to get the bigger splitts wonder how that happens?

Not being smart, but they are medium size splits here. It all burns, so no big deal.

zapny said:
This is some of the last wood from what I cut in the summer 2008, guess I split a little big back then. Most of this is Sugar Maple so it should make for some nice overnight burns.

zap

Zap, split size is relative. You notice a lot of folks like the big splits but it really depends a lot on your stove. If I remember your stove right, I'd say those splits would be about the largest you'd want. That also is about the size of our larger splits. It works out nice as too big and it is harder to pack the stove for nighttime burning.

If those splits are too big you can send me a few cords. That's about the right size here. 3 acroos the bottom like those and 2 smaller ones or a couple pieces of slab.

Status
Not open for further replies.