1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Split size

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Boom Stick, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Boom Stick

Boom Stick Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    C/S/S right after the big storm so I would say early september of last year. Haven't put the MM on any of it as I figured why bother. I'll be out there this weekend and will test a piece just to see.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Thanks. I am very curious how your Oak will be after a full year outside. Let me know if it gets wind, sun, if you have it topped covered, etc. I appreciate it. I have some Oak that I just got this month and am going to keep track how long it takes to get down to 20%. I am going to split that Oak smaller in the spring, or maybe even in the next few weeks, and see where the moisture content is at this time next year. I appreciate it Boom Stick.
  3. Boom Stick

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    The stuff I just bucked last weekend was laying on an angle down a hill.....as I cut towards the roots (facing uphill) there was water spraying out of the wood. hit it with the MM on those specific rounds on the ends before splitting and got 50%!!!!!! towards the other end of the tree I was getting 38% on splits. very wet! will check this weekend.
  4. Gark

Gark Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Michigan
    Our stove loves 18" long (E-W only). Its N-S is only 9" so I don't mess with that. I use an 18" long stick to measure, then mark with a piece of kid's sidewalk chalk. For split thickness I try to get as many of the thickest that will fit into its door. Enough skinnies to fill the requirements will be leftover. What you need is dictated by your stove size and stove opening. In the pic your splits look too skinny to me - almost like kindling.
  5. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    I try to get it uniform, say 16-17"s but its not all that important top me. It all burns and the shorter can be used to put infront of the NS picies or I can put it somewhere. I just cut what looks right, sometimes I put 2 pieces but to but in the stack to match the longer stuff, but this is stuff that I have cut short due to knots or ends. Sometimes larger stuff is cut to say 14"s to help load, but its not a concern of mine?
  6. Boom Stick

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    So I took a piece off the top of the pile that was of average size compared to the rest, split it and got 21.6 % moisture.....not bad. However, get into the middle of the pile and it will more than likely be higher. I am gonna burn that piece tonight. The oak has been uncovered for over a year and has had a tarp over it for the past month or so. I would say it gets later in the day sunlight. Gets good wind though. Wind is more important than sun (to me). These splits in this older pile are bigger....like overnight burn size. Gonna be some decent wood when it is time to burn. I will not get into it this year.
  7. Boom Stick

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    Here is my pile stacked.....measured out at 1 cord...not too small....very manageable....not like kindling though:) photo.jpg
  8. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    Nice I bet it smells great too
  9. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    I had a measuring tape break, so cut a 16" piece of the end - folds easy to put in back pocket. I walk a log with the tape, making a cut mark with a hatchet every 16" - goes real fast and I end up with nice uniform lengths. I split a lot of my wood to the size in your photo, with some bigger splits for the real cold weather. Cheers!
  10. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    nice stack, it isn't falling over! i find the alternating stack to be useful on the ends, and just throw pieces in between. my first stack looke like yours, alternating the splits throughout.
  11. MarkinNC

MarkinNC Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Leicester, NC
    I measure to at 16 inches. It's a common number on the tape measure so you can lay out a tree quickly. I have considered going to 17 inches to get some more BTU's in the box.

I started with big old school pre EPA slits, then went smaller, but now see the utility of large splits for overnight burns. I have a combo of both now.
  12. Boom Stick

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    I do all my stacks like this....I actually take my time and move pieces as I think I need to..Haven't had a stack fail yet. Most fun of all the firewood getting, to me, is making stacks. I felt great today after getting it done standing there having a beer looking at it for 15 minutes until my fiance came over and asked me what the heck I was doing!
    etiger2007 likes this.
  13. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    yea I go in my wood shed and hangout and look at the wood stacks. Noticed that one was about to fallover a few weeks ago. This was one of my Oak stacks to get used early this winter. I took a t post and a board and braced it back up till it gets used. Hated to see it!! Last year I had a stack fall over on one of my mower and other stuff, had to restack it. anyway
  14. xman23

xman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    A mix is the way to go. Small number of startup split then all big stuff . The biggest the stove will take is what I do Most cut to 18 but the stove will do 26 if I need to
  15. Gark

Gark Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Michigan
    That's a fine looking stack you built there, BTW. It looks solid, stable, even and well thought out. Good job!
  16. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I'm similar. I've got a piece of scrap copper pipe. It's a couple inches shorter than I want. I spray just after the pipe with a dot from an upside down marking paint spray can.

JP
  17. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I usually end up eyeballing quite a bit but on the straight trunks I use a 16" piece of wood and a lumber crayon for marking.

As to size of splits, let the stove determine what size is best for you. I will say it is nice to have some variety in the size of splits especially if your firebox is rather small. I still like a large split or a round in the bottom rear of our stove then fill in with whatever else is there.

The red oak or any oak is nice to split a bit small as they will dry a bit faster.