Split some 22 year old rounds today!(with pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I stopped by my old mans today, while I was there I picked up 4 rounds of what I believe is ash that was cut back in 1988. I'm not sure why there were never split but he had them in his covered wood rack all these years. The wood wasn't punky, still hard as a rock, it almost seemed petrified. :lol:

People tell me all the time that I need to remember wood rots when they see my stacks. I tell them if I keep it off the ground and pretty much dry it'll last a long time. This goes a long way towards proving my point and none of my wood will ever be around for that long.

The fresh splits measured 12-14% on the moisture meter. And people say wood doesn't season in rounds! :lol: I don't think wood in this area can dry much more then that due to the humidity in the air.

I plan to toss some of the splits in the stove tonight, it'll be the driest stuff I've ever burned!

Attachments

• P2250094.jpg
    P2250094.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,049
  • P2250098.jpg
    P2250098.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,044
  • P2250100.jpg
    P2250100.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 1,071
  • P2250102.jpg
    P2250102.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,083
Nice
Almost qualifies as "antique"
Bet it burns great.

I have some 10 year old fire killed poplar that I burn once in awhile durring the cold snaps. Its almost petrified. You should get the bluest flames that you have ever seen with that 20yr stuff. Enjoy the show.

It looks more like Aspen than Ash. None the less, it should burn nicely.

Been burning some 130 year old pine here the last week.

Funny its like these old walls I took out in the house are just made out of the stuff!

I should check the moisture content on those suckers.

LLigetfa said:
It looks more like Aspen than Ash. None the less, it should burn nicely.

I know it's not Aspen, it's way to heavy for that. Could maybe be an Elm though since I remember it being without bark when my dad cut it . I loaded up about 6 splits last night and I had one of the nicest coal beds I've ever had this morning. Aspen is usually a real fluffy ash without much of a coal bed.

rdust, save a piece or 2 of that stuff. I'd like to see it.

For what it is worth, ash is one of the very best for keeping long-term.10 year old ash burns great. Here is one of the best parts too; if an ash is cut or just falls to the ground, even if it is touching the ground it will take many, many years before it rots. As I said, ash is one of the very best for keeping long-term. It is just one of the things which makes this wood great.

On the other hand, I feel for some folks, like the snowshoe making factory in Michigan. They make their snowshoes out of white ash. Where will they get their wood in the future with all the ash dieing?

I have some wood of unknown age that was in my barn when I moved in. Its mostly cherry, elm, and a lot of sassafras. I'm guessing it's 10-15 years old. It is DRY.

Burns too good. It's hard to keep the stove from running away because it's so dry and the entire contents of the firebox wants to ignite instantaneously. Works great for heating up a room quick.

rdust said:
I know it's not Aspen, it's way to heavy for that. Could maybe be an Elm...
Elm would have been my first guess if they were a darker colour. Perhaps some Elm is lighter in colour than others or maybe it's just your camera.

LLigetfa said:
rdust said:
Elm would have been my first guess if they were a darker colour. Perhaps some Elm is lighter in colour than others or maybe it's just your camera.

Garage was dark so the flash could have washed the color out some. The wood is also covered in dust so I think it's making it look more gray on the ends. A dead Elm in 1988 makes more sense then a dead Ash. I was 13 when it was cut down so I'm just going by my old mans word on the type of wood. The wood wasn't stringy when I split it but I doubt 20 year old wood has the same characteristics. Elm rounds makes more sense I did see some wound marks from a maul in a couple of the pieces. I think my old man tried to hand split them and gave up. :lol:

Elm for sure. I bet they didn't pop when you split them. I'm burning alot of dead elm right now. The bark is gone and the top half is ready to burn. the bottom is still to wet even though it looks dry. When I was a kid elm was the main tree. We had some really big ones and it would take a tornado to take them down. Now they get 8in and the dutch elm gets them and they die. They make good firewood but you do have to watch for poison ivy as that stuff really likes dead elm. I've seen sparks fly off the chain on some really dry ones.
leaddog

rdust said:
People tell me all the time that I need to remember wood rots when they see my stacks. I tell them if I keep it off the ground and pretty much dry it'll last a long time. This goes a long way towards proving my point and none of my wood will ever be around for that long.

Too true. The misnomer "dry rot" makes many uninformed people think that wood will always rot with age - when as we all know there is only one thing that causes wood rot: moisture (or moisture and insects).

Keep away the moisture and wood will last pretty much forever... Ever hear the story of king tuts tomb? When they found it in the 1920s there was supposedly a wooden chair inside you could still sit on without breaking. How many thousands of years is that?........

I've seen crude wooden pole ladders, log vats, and partially burnt torches in caves in West Virginia that date back to the Civil War (saltpeter mining and production) that were in perfect condition. Wouldn't burn them though since they are artifacts.

Balcony House at Mesa Verde National Park in SW Colorado has wooden poles imbedded in the construction. The newest of the wood is from 1100-1200 AD, with a lot of wood used in construction for hundreds of years before that. In fact, tree-ring dating (dendrochonology) is what is used to date structures in that part of the world. Needless to say, it is very dry there.

rdust said:
LLigetfa said:
rdust said:

Garage was dark so the flash could have washed the color out some. The wood is also covered in dust so I think it's making it look more gray on the ends. A dead Elm in 1988 makes more sense then a dead Ash. I was 13 when it was cut down so I'm just going by my old mans word on the type of wood. The wood wasn't stringy when I split it but I doubt 20 year old wood has the same characteristics. Elm rounds makes more sense I did see some wound marks from a maul in a couple of the pieces. I think my old man tried to hand split them and gave up. :lol:

Last year I burned some dead-dead elm . . . I mean dead for several years . . . no bark at all . . . standing dead elm. That elm split like a dream . . . popped right off the splitter, clean splits . . . no stringiness . . . unlike some of the other elms that I split up last year and this year which were wicked stringy. Dead makes a difference.

Ash, poor mans oak! I love the stuff!

70marlin said:
Ash, poor mans oak! I love the stuff!
Here we call Ash the Oak of the North.

Status
Not open for further replies.