Split some walnut last night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
I don't like to tow the splitter with a lot of gas in it and last night it was to be taken to my welder to have a table/cradle fabricated. So I remembered a pile of walnut that I had given to me and decided to split that up to use up the gas in the tank. All the while I was grumbling about even taking this wood as it was so light weight compared to the size of the wood. So, when I was done I grabbed the moisture meter thinking it must be relatively low due to the light weight. It came in at 34%. How can wood this little weight to it have so much moisture?

Sure its walnut?

I don't have a pic, but the fresh splits have an aroma that remonds me of the gun cleaning solution Hoppes #9?

muncybob said:
I don't have a pic, but the fresh splits have an aroma that remonds me of the gun cleaning solution Hoppes #9?

I split and mill alot of bw cant really detect much of a smell, nor would I describe it as light even seasoned.

Black Walnut would be very dark in the center - the only wood with a dark brown color here in PA. It shouldn't be easily confused with any other wood.

I'll have to get some pics up. It does have dark brown color....bark reminds me of the black walnut trees we have growing on our property. I did notice that there is a layer under the bark that is a cream color to it before you hit the dark wood.

Wood Duck said:
Black Walnut would be very dark in the center - the only wood with a dark brown color here in PA. It shouldn't be easily confused with any other wood.

P.A. must have some nasty walnut.....2 inch slab 15 inch by 8 ft will come in at 125lb+ Light would would be a very strange way to describe walnut.

This one 14x14x21x 2-3/4 by two of them came in over 40 lbs! ;-)

Attachments

• blank resize.jpg
    blank resize.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 385
Once Walnut is split it doesn't take it long to dry I would have taken it if someone gave it to me.

certified106 said:
Once Walnut is split it doesn't take it long to dry I would have taken it if someone gave it to me.

You run into anything over 30+ inchs PM me! ;-)

smokinjay said:
muncybob said:

I split and mill alot of bw cant really detect much of a smell, nor would I describe it as light even seasoned.

Your sniffer must be broke since most of the walnut I have split does have a distinct smell lol :p

Yeah, If I can find some over 30" around here I'll PM you but it might be a heck of a drive lol

certified106 said:
smokinjay said:
muncybob said:

Your sniffer must be broke since most of the walnut I have split does have a distinct smell lol :p

Yeah, If I can find some over 30" around here I'll PM you but it might be a heck of a drive lol

As much as I have done and dust flying does not really have much of a smell to me. Many hours spent loveing the bw!

Attachments

• walnut 1.jpg
    walnut 1.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 352
Yep, I just split some logs a couple of nights ago. Mine had a very pleasant ( to me) aroma.

Based on what I've seen today I guess it certainly not walnut. Here is what I have. I thought the bark looked like walnut and there were walnut trees in the area.

Attachments

• P1010898.jpg
    P1010898.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 268
Here's my latest Walnut splits.

c098eb79.jpg

0abf34a8.jpg

muncybob said:
Based on what I've seen today I guess it certainly not walnut. Here is what I have. I thought the bark looked like walnut and there were walnut trees in the area.

Willow?? Would be my guess.

smokinjay said:
Wood Duck said:

P.A. must have some nasty walnut.....2 inch slab 15 inch by 8 ft will come in at 125lb+ Light would would be a very strange way to describe walnut.

Smokin- you have some beautiful wood. I wish I lived closer so I could get some of those slabs for some wood-working projects. My brother lives in Illinois but still probably a good drive. If he is ever looking for walnut, I'm sending him your way. That is - if you sell what you mill. I'm guessing you do since you can't possibly use it all in furniture.

Makes me want to mill my own...

wannabegreener said:
smokinjay said:
Wood Duck said:

Smokin- you have some beautiful wood. I wish I lived closer so I could get some of those slabs for some wood-working projects. My brother lives in Illinois but still probably a good drive. If he is ever looking for walnut, I'm sending him your way. That is - if you sell what you mill. I'm guessing you do since you can't possibly use it all in furniture.

Makes me want to mill my own...

Pretty much out of room now. I need to benchs and a entertainment center then i am done. ( I do sell I have 1500bf in large slabs) Be Ready in late Oct.

nrford said:
muncybob said:

Willow?? Would be my guess.

Stinky and light Willow or cottonwood. ;-)

I'll agree to the stinky Jay but cottonwood can be pretty darned heavy when first cut. I recall cutting one of ours that is in the swamp and that thing had about the most water in it that I've ever seen. Really heavy when we first cut it. No, we did not burn it. I just cut a cottonwood and a couple willows as I was making a new trail through there.

Status
Not open for further replies.