Splits loaded on end

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
Has anyone tried burning with the splits standing on end in the fire box? I'm gonna give it a try. I like experimenting, so we'll see if it does much...

I think if you can get them in their pretty tight then they would burn just real hot and fast, pure speculation on my part.

occasionally i wind up standing one on end (when i bring 1 too many in)and lean against the stack... and yes it seems to burn up ^ fast.

When I had the VC I used to put them in that way on the sides. They burned down at about the same rate as the rest of the load. Many of the new stoves are going to take E/W or N/S but not upright....

I was curious too a couple of weeks ago...

Some of the "frankenstein" chunks I ended up with from scrounging last year were about 6" in diameter, and about 9" or 10" long. I stood a couple of them up on a good bed of coals, and they went away a lot quicker than when I would lay them N-S. They were from a sugar maple that a friend of mine took down, so they weren't junk wood. Seems they burn faster this way?

Yep, like Swestall said, on end for the mill ends on the sides. Works great when you burn mixed loads like I do-(fir splits and rounds) and cedar mill ends. They actually seem to burn longer on the side of the insert doing that. No idea how that will work burning a total load that way??

Status
Not open for further replies.