Splits not seasoned yet!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

allhandsworking

Feeling the Heat
Sep 30, 2008
NYC
I have several stacks on my property. I just got a moisture meter and checked them, The stack against the retaining wall facing north is still 35%! Split last year about 4" in diameter. Wow I am surprised I guess there wasn't enough wind and sun in that area. It is also shaded by the house. In summer it receives about 4 hours sunlight! mixed bag maple oak and some other stuff. Just goes to show you that stacks need sun and wind!

allhandsworking said:
I have several stacks on my property. I just got a moisture meter and checked them, The stack against the retaining wall facing north is still 35%! Split last year about 4" in diameter. Wow I am surprised I guess there wasn't enough wind and sun in that area. It is also shaded by the house. In summer it receives about 4 hours sunlight! mixed bag maple oak and some other stuff. Just goes to show you that stacks need sun and wind!

That's one of the first things I learned when I got my moisture meter--stuff that I thought was ready wasn't, and stuff that I thought wasn't ready was.

NP

I am also in the NY metro area and had a suprise on a couple of wetter than believed stacks. Must have been a bad season for stacked drying.

How are you checking the moisture? Are you using a two pin meter? I would suggest you try and split your splits (that's a mouthful) down the middle and re-check several spots near the center from end to end. Sometimes depending on weather conditions, even seasoned wood will pick up enough moisture to throw a meter off.

Could be a faulty moisture meter you have there allhandsworking. Except for oak an locust most all other eastern hardwood will be close to 25% or lower after a full year of seasoning. Do the splits feel noticeably lighter, if you bang 'em together does they ring or thud? If all else fails make a fire and observe for any moisture weeping out the cut ends.

allhandsworking said:
Just goes to show you that stacks need sun and wind!
Ja! I have empathy for people with small sheltered lots and limited options for wood storage.

savageactor7 said:
Could be a faulty moisture meter you have there allhandsworking. Except for oak an locust most all other eastern hardwood will be close to 25% or lower after a full year of seasoning. Do the splits feel noticeably lighter, if you bang 'em together does they ring or thud? If all else fails make a fire and observe for any moisture weeping out the cut ends.

Yeap thanks for the help! I re-split then use the meter all about 30 35% If I keep the splits under 5" they do burn nice with little build up on the glass! I do have another stack that is in better condition for burning. Also being in the city I have a good source of pallet wood to supplement the crudy wood! It helps get it going!

savageactor7 said:

+1 burn some and just see how good it is!

SavageA, Black locust needs very little seasoning, about 4-6 months to be around 20%

Just got a meter today. I have lots of Oak and Hickory that has been split for almost a year. It's been stacked in the sun with rubber covering the top and most of it read a minimum of 27%. I have some Maple that has been in the shade for the same amount of time and it reads about 17% ..

westkywood said:
Just got a meter today. I have lots of Oak and Hickory that has been split for almost a year. It's been stacked in the sun with rubber covering the top and most of it read a minimum of 27%. I have some Maple that has been in the shade for the same amount of time and it reads about 17% ..

maple is fast

My rule is 12 months the very minimum, under covered storage and with good ventilation. 18 to 24 months is my usual.

The "thunk test" and looking for end cracks in the splits are great confirmations of well seasoned wood.

The entire Northeast had a lot of rain this past year, but it certainly did not help the seasoning of any wood fuel.

Over the years, I now also stack my splits with more space for better airflow. Worth the effort.

Burn safely and wisely!

LLigetfa said:
Ja! I have empathy for people with small sheltered lots and limited options for wood storage.

Or those of us who live in the woods. I have a couple acres at the bottom of the hill thats in the sun, but its an easy spot for wood thieves and 150 feet of elevation below the house down my steep drive. So I haul it up once and take what drying I can get. My spot is well-ventilated and gets sun in the winter (starting this week actually).

Status
Not open for further replies.