splits smell like whiskey?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red450

Oct 27, 2009
Indiana
I picked up a truck load of seasoned wood today. When I started splitting some of the larger splits, I noticed some smell like whiskey. To be more exact, they smell
like Jameson. What type of wood is it? I can get a pic if needed. Is it a type of Oak, like what they make the barrels out of?

oak has a strong smell and most whiskey's are aged in oak barrels

May not be well seasoned if it has a heavy odor.

Once I was given a tree bucked by a tree guy, It may have been swamp maple., but grew in swampy ground. The wood smelled bad.
The oak I buck and split has no strong smell

xman23 said:
Once I was given a tree bucked by a tree guy, It may have been swamp maple., but grew in swampy ground. The wood smelled bad.
The oak I buck and split has no strong smell

It doesn't smell bad. :cheese: Smells like delicious Jameson!

It's probably oak, but it only smells when wet ( green and unseasoned )

Hurricane said:
It's probably oak, but it only smells when wet ( green and unseasoned )

I was worried about that. :-S

What does it taste like ? Jameson is aged in used barrels that had some sort of wine in them first according to the factory tour. Some good stuff.
Who said smelled like old swamp maple what the heck kind of swill would that be ?

well i have cut pin oak and red oak that both smelled like a whiskey scent. the pin oak especially. the two trees that smelled the strongest were both very wet inside. they had been dead for 4=5 years but laying on the ground and uncut. i would lean towards the red oak family. steve

red450 said:
I picked up a truck load of seasoned wood today. When I started splitting some of the larger splits, I noticed some smell like whiskey. To be more exact, they smell
like Jameson. What type of wood is it? I can get a pic if needed. Is it a type of Oak, like what they make the barrels out of?

This might be one of those signs that you should not ignore. :p

Actually, the oak doesn't smell like whiskey, whiskey smells like oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.