Splits vs. log lengths

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karri0n

Nov 18, 2008
Eastern CT
I have a pretty decent wood guy who drops his wood, leaves it in log length for two years, then bucks and splits it on its way out for delivery. Obviously not seasoned too well, but it's definitely burnable and far better than most of the landscaping companies/tree services and such will give you around here for "seasoned" wood(read: sat in a puddle for 6 months), and cheaper too.

My question is, if he loaded up the same trailer that usually holds 1 cord of piled-in splits(as opposed to neatly stacked) with log lengths, and piled it high, about how much wood would this be? 1.5 cord, 2 cord, closer to 1 cord? I figure even if he gives me the same price of a c/s/d load(and I'm fairly certain he will cut the price), I still would make out as it would be quite a bit more wood.

I was thinking of having him do this pretty soon so I can get a bit better price on wood, and buck/split it myself so it seasons the rest of the way before next season.

There was a thread that dealt with this recently and as I recall, there is about 20% more wood in a log than split and stacked.

But my memory isn't always so good. At least this will bump your thread up to the top so maybe somebody smarter will answer it.

It is generally accepted that split wood will occupy more space than it did in the round. The percentage will vary with the sizes of rounds and splits but I think 20% is too high a number. I estimate 10% less wood in a measured cord of split wood.

It is also accepted that seasoned wood occupies less space than green wood due to shrinkage. I estimate around 5% shrinkage.

See, I told you somebody smarter would answer!

Hmmm, so not really worth it with the extra work and such unless he discounts it. Thanks.

karri0n said:
I have a pretty decent wood guy who drops his wood, leaves it in log length for two years, then bucks and splits it on its way out for delivery. Obviously not seasoned too well, but it's definitely burnable and far better than most of the landscaping companies/tree services and such will give you around here for "seasoned" wood(read: sat in a puddle for 6 months), and cheaper too.

My question is, if he loaded up the same trailer that usually holds 1 cord of piled-in splits(as opposed to neatly stacked) with log lengths, and piled it high, about how much wood would this be? 1.5 cord, 2 cord, closer to 1 cord? I figure even if he gives me the same price of a c/s/d load(and I'm fairly certain he will cut the price), I still would make out as it would be quite a bit more wood.

I was thinking of having him do this pretty soon so I can get a bit better price on wood, and buck/split it myself so it seasons the rest of the way before next season.
This part could make an additional significant difference... tossed splits eat up a lot more volume than stacked splits/rounds.

More than you want to know, but in a state where timber, pulp, luber and firewood are a big deal, the Legislators in St. Paul had their say:

Minn Stat 239.33 STANDARD MEASUREMENTS OF WOOD.

In all contracts for sale of wood the term "cord" shall mean 128 cubic feet of wood, bark, and air, if cut in four-foot lengths; and if the sale is of "sawed wood," a cord shall mean 110 cubic feet when ranked, or 160 cubic feet when thrown irregularly or loosely into a conveyance for delivery to the purchaser; and if the sale is of "sawed and split wood," a cord shall mean 120 cubic feet, when ranked, and 175 cubic feet when thrown irregularly and loosely into a conveyance for delivery. If a measurement is made by weight, the term "cord" or any other term used to describe freshly cut wood shall be based on 79 cubic feet of solid wood content per cord. The weight per cord may vary by species or species group. In case of any dispute when the parties have not otherwise agreed in writing to the weight per cord by species or species group, the weight most recently established by the commissioner of natural resources prevails.

jebatty said:
More than you want to know, but in a state where timber, pulp, luber and firewood are a big deal, the Legislators in St. Paul had their say:
Well... IMHO law makers usually have a background as liars.. um lawyers and most politicians are not known for their honesty nor the ability to do math.

I would be curious as to how they came up with those numbers. I can see maybe 2 cu ft max, lost to the saw when bucking up 4 foot lengths so have to wonder why the 16 cu ft discrepancy for "sawed wood". The general consensus over at arboristsite is that a cord loose tossed occupies about 180 - 210 cu ft., not 160 - 175.

Then they figure a cord sawed and split is only 120 cu ft? Talk about getting screwed by politicians.

I don't see any "getting screwed by politicians." What I see is that the loggers and wood products industry got together and put in statute definitions that govern their trade and business to end disputes, and which might give them an advantage vis-a-vis a home firewood buyer, but only if the buyer is lacking knowledge. A citizen with knowledge has no disadvantage. In all events, a "cord" has no meaning other than that given it by law or by long standing custom of trade having the effect of law.

In the end it doesn't make any difference anyway, as firewood suppliers and buyers really don't measure very much, and the market and reputation govern what a person is getting and what a person is paying for what he/she gets. It isn't much different than buying a big box of cereal only 1/2 full, but stating on the package that contents are 12 oz.

LLigetfa said:
...Well... law makers usually have a background as liars.. um lawyers and most politicians are not known for their honesty nor the ability to do math.

Well...um...don't you think maybe you wanna put the phrase "in my opinion", or words to that effect in there somewhere, rather than just making it a declarative statement? Rick

fossil said:
LLigetfa said:
...Well... law makers usually have a background as liars.. um lawyers and most politicians are not known for their honesty nor the ability to do math.

Well...um...don't you think maybe you wanna put the phrase "in my opinion", or words to that effect in there somewhere, rather than just making it a declarative statement? Rick

I think I saw a IMHO right before the post....in my honest opinion that is :)

ilikewood said:
...I think I saw a IMHO right before the post....in my honest opinion that is :)

Deftly edited in after the fact (ref. my original quote). No biggie, I can live with that. Rick

fossil said:
ilikewood said:
...I think I saw a IMHO right before the post....in my honest opinion that is :)

Deftly edited in after the fact (ref. my original quote). No biggie, I can live with that. Rick
Yes, edited as per your instruction.

As for the H, an opinion surely must be honest. In my case it refers to Humble although some might debate that.

LLigetfa said:
...As for the H, an opinion surely must be honest. In my case it refers to Humble although some might debate that.

In your case, LL, I'm sure it's both honest and at least a little bit humble. :p Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.