Splitter Accident. 27 tons vs. a Finger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebeatlesrgood

Aug 7, 2008
Northern MA
this is my first year to burning (well when i was a teenager i had a stove for about 2 years) but we just bought a new woodstove and ive been scrounging and splitting w/ a maul, about 3 or so cords. i just met a tree guy on craigslist and in a week i got 10+ cords and cant possibly keep up with him without a splitter, so i splurged and bought a 27 ton troy-bilt from lowes. its been going well for the last week ive split about 7 cords w/ the help from my brother, father, and some friends, and with the exception of a few scrapes and bruises we were incident free until today. me and my brother were splitting for about three hours and we had a good routine going (he's akin to working with his hands) then my friend decided to help who needless to say is not quite handy (no pun intended). not 45 seconds or 3 logs in he had the brilliant idea of sticking his fingers in the machine as i was splitting to reposition the wood before the log reached the back plate because the log was "slipping". and i hear "STOP" so i did and he lifted the mangled mess that used to be his middle finger :sick: . so i raced him to the hospital and the whole time i felt like saying "what the hell were you thinking" nobody should touch the machine except the operator, just hand me logs and pile the splits that i through off but DONT TOUCH ANYTHING when the machine is moving. I felt terrible though and i should have been paying attention to him but i was watching the front of the log. fortunately it couldve been a lot worse but he still got two broken fingers, crushed cartilage in his middle finger, nail ripped from the nail bed and a crap load of stitches.

there are two points to this story

1. when you're working on a splitter (or any power tool for that matter) dont let anyone touch the machine. i shouldve been paying attention, your helps job is to hand you logs and wheelbarrow over the splits you through off, AND dont assume someone knows this rule. it may seem like common sense but if anyone new is working with you tell them to keep their hands free when its moving, i know im going to now.

2. and to see if anyone else has had any bad expiriences with a splitter, and forking over $1500 doesnt count. :lol:

Adios Pantalones said:
If it was my best friend- it wouldn't have been 2 hours before I was making fun of him for it (or vice versa).

hahaha tell me about it, if he had made it 20 mins to the next cigarette break i would have ripped him a new one, but come on 45 seconds. :-/ on the bright side he mustve broken some kind of a record, to go along with his fingers :lol:

thebeatlesrgood said:
2. and to see if anyone else has had any bad expiriences with a splitter, and forking over $1500 doesnt count. :lol:

Indirectly. My cousin's 15 year old son took his left thumb off at the first knuckle last fall. They tried to reattach it, but it did not take. The golden rule was/is one hand on the lever, the other at your side or on TOP of the log. He held it at the end, and thought he was clear of the wedge. He wasn't.

It was a physical trauma for him and an emotional one for my cousin (his dad). It was an accident. He had used the splitter many times before for many hours. You have to be ever vigilant and respectful.

that's terrible jim k in pa. ive been pretty nonchalant about the machine up till this point and i have not used it since it happened but im going to have to start paying closer attention to what im doing. it's just too easier to break your fingers or lose a thumb and it not if your not incredibly careful.

So let me get this straight......

Your buddy is helping you out with the splitter, he loses his finger in an accident, and you don't feel bad what so ever.... Instead, you rip the guy for being a dumba@@..... Jeez......

thebeatlesrgood said:
I felt terrible though and i should have been paying attention to him

1. see above quote. i absolutely feel and felt terrible. you should read a little more clearly.

2. first off he didnt lose a finger. he broke the tips of two fingers, doctors say he should be fine and will make a speedy recovery.

3. the whole time we were on the way to the hospital and in the waiting room. he was joking and laughing about it trying to calm me down. hes a funny kid not a humorless twit like some people.

Cozy heat he took a few pics in the waiting room and after the stitches. youve gotta have a strong stomach to look at them :sick: . ill ask to see if he wants to be famous and post them on the internet.

sl7vk said:

Your buddy is helping you out with the splitter, he loses his finger in an accident, and you don't feel bad what so ever.... Instead, you rip the guy for being a dumba@@..... Jeez......

Honest- if it was my buddy- I'd feel bad until he got to the hospital, then we'd both laugh about it for years. He wants to put a webcam in my kitchen because it would amuse him when I cut myself with the excellent extra sharp Japanese kitchen knife he gave my wife and me (happens a lot). I got a broken ankle retreating from his team in paintball- we laugh about it. He sliced his hand open and should have had stitches while we were camping... I accidentally gave him a bloody nose the first day we roomed together as freshmen in college- it's all fair game.

I think it was Pogo that said: Don't take life so serious- it aint nohow permanent :)

Adios Pantalones said:
sl7vk said:

Honest- if it was my buddy- I'd feel bad until he got to the hospital, then we'd both laugh about it for years.

I think it was Pogo that said: Don't take life so serious- it aint nohow permanent :)

Hard to say for sure but being just a finger, non life threatening, i'd have to say at least the 3 minute rule would be in effect...then he's fair game and the "incident" would be brought up at every chance for the rest of his life. Ball bustin' is mandatory.

In all seriousness though, this is one of many reasons when i'm cutting/splitting wood I do it all solo. Too much going on to have to worry about what someone else is doing. If I f-up it's only on me.

Adios Pantalones said:
I normally know what I'M about to do

He Bro - hold my beer - watch THIS! :lol:

I think the 3 minute rule is correct, acess the situation, keep all organs and fluids in their rightfull place, then start the razzing. Ask him to keep his hands in his pocket, here...can you hold this? Can you pass me a log, can you tap on that wood to see if it seasoned? Can you point out ... The list is endless! At the end just console him and let him know that his wife will HAVE to keep him stocked in cold beer to keep the swelling down on his fingers...I think glass makes the best transfer so bottles will be required!!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.