splitter advice, new unit with 4 way wedge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Oslo heats my home

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2010
South Shore, MA
I'm looking at a 37 ton log splitter with a log lift, 4 way wedge and a table behind the wedge for just under 2K new. The only item the unit doesn't have that I would
like to incorporate is a way to move the winged wedge up and down to accomodate the logs being split. The splitter has the fixed wedge (single) opposite the push plate on the piston. The single wedge accepts the 'optional' wing wedge that goes over the fixed wedge, to make it a 4-way.

Any suggestions on what to do to make that winged wedge move up and down? Hydraulics or some kind of manual lever maybe??

thanks

picture of the wedge from the end of the table looking towards the cylinder. You can see what I mean about the wedge sliding over the fixed wedge.

Attachments

• fdgdsgregw.jpg
    fdgdsgregw.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 442
unfortunately, without spending some cash i dont see how you could do it....
you could have a custom wing made that is higher.....~300-350....
or the obvious.... use the regular wedge till its small enough for the four way...
i have used 4 way on a timberwolf with the lift and to be honest... its good for commercial use to save time or perfect pieces of wood... big ones or ones that have kn ots become stringy or stuck....
its easier for me to just split till it cracks rotate and resplit for 4

[quote author="iceman" date="1310619241"]unfortunately, without spending some cash i dont see how you could do it....
you could have a custom wing made that is higher.....~300-350....
or the obvious.... use the regular wedge till its small enough for the four way...

I understand where your coming from. Although I'm treating this machine as small investement for short money (compared to a timberwolf or simular) I would almost be happy to spend maybe 500- 750 more to get the 4 way to work with a hydraulic lever or some kind of manual lever, simular to the ones that the wings lay flat on the beam when only the single wedge is working.

Maybe a cheap spacer underneath the slipover to move it up? Or a slide adjustment on the back side with a thumb screw?

Status
Not open for further replies.