Splitter advice wanted.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
I know this has been discussed before and I've read most of them but I have a couple of other questions. I plan on splitting 8-10 cords/year with family and friends borrowing it for another 5-8 cords. 13-18 total.

The options I'm looking at are:

Troy-Bilt at Lowes 27 ton 160cc Honda engine (4.6hp) $1400

Swisher at Lowes 28 ton 10.5 hp B&S engine $1781

Huskee at TSC 28 ton 190cc Honda GC (5.2 hp) engine $1500

Huskee at TSC 34 ton 342cc (15.5 ft-lbs why can't they use the same units? I'm assuming around 11hp?) B&S engine $1800

Used American AM25HH 20 ton? 8 hp B&S engine $1750

Timberwolf at local power equip dealer 20 ton 5.5 hp Honda GX engine (looks like the 200cc model) $2000

They all seem to have two stage pumps, reservoir size varies from 14 (troy-bilt) to 31 quart (huskee).
The American and Timberwolf push into the wedge while the others have the wedge on the ram. Timberwolf sells a 4way option that slides over the wedge. I'm assuming I could find or make one for the American. This appeals to me since there would be less handling time. Can you get a four way option for the others? I also like the fact that they push the wood off the far end instead of dropping it on either side of the splitter.

I would think that the bigger engines would mean it dosen't have to work as hard (but probably burns more gas)

The Timberwolf dealer claims US manufacture better service (rebuildable pump) and better engine GX as opposed to big box version. Plus I can add options like a table and log lifter.

I can swing the more expensive unit but don't want to spend more than I need to, $600 buys a lot of goodies.

I'm killing my self with options. Will the low end units hold up or will I kick myself for not spending extra money? I only want to do this once.

Thanks for any input.

Greg H

One other thought, the "wedge on the end" models don't switch to vertical. A lot of the rounds that I get are 24"+ which are too heavy to lift. I can always wack them with the maul to split them in half. I know that the high end models have optional lifting devices but that is adding more expense to an already expensive machine. What do you see the trade offs as?

The biggest question in your list is how much is the option to split vertical worth to you? I originally only split vertically but now much prefer my simple dumb horizontal wedge on beam setup. If you do go horizontal only, you also want to consider working height and whether you need a log lift. I know that I won't be splitting what I have been splitting 20 or 30 years from now without a lift.

FWIW, that used American seems pricey. Here is a relatively new one for $500 less.

http://twintiers.craigslist.org/tls/1759167035.html

Splitting 13-18 cords a year isn't bad . . . I would say any of the makes/models you mentioned would fit the bill . . . and most, if not all, of the manufacturers have had positive reviews here.

Tonnage: Most folks would say 21 or 22-ton rated splitters should work for most folks. I did get a larger ton splitter from MTD (aka Troy-bilt, White, Cub Cadet, etc.) myself since I tend to process a decent amout of elm which can be a challenge on occasion to split (even with a hydraulic splitter) and it was a pretty good deal (bought through my local True Value). However, quite honestly, I would say 95-98% of what I split could probably be done with the smaller tonnage splitter.

Engine: Originally I was dead set on getting a splitter with a Honda engine. I love Hondas. I love Honda ATVs. I own a Honda Accord. I have a Honda push mower. In the end I went with a Briggs/Stratton engine . . . a) they seem like they've improved a lot from the old Briggs I remember in the 1980s and b) if my Briggs motor goes it should be easy enough to get the parts to fix it or I can simply buy a cheap Briggs engine brand new.

4-way splitter wedge: I thought this would be useful . . . and probably it is for some folks. However, for me it probably wouldn't work out all that well. First off, I tend to get a lot of knarly, twisted wood and second, I just plain like to vary the size of my splits. That said, a lot of folks have 4-way wedges and love them.

Price: I can't really say if the "low rent district" models will stand the test of time . . . I only have two years in on my lower price model . . . but truthfully so far I've been quite happy with it.

Table: To be honest another plus for me to buying the model I did was that it came with a cradle already . . . although to be truthful MTD did cheap out with cheaper grade bolts (there are a number of threads on how to improve the table) and if the truth be told may folks have made their own tables/cradles pretty easily.

Vertical: If you've read any of my threads with Backwoods Savage you'll see that we hold opposing view points on whether it is best to split in the horizontal position or vertical position. I prefer standing and split most of my wood horizontally. Dennis likes to split his wood with the splitter in the vertical splitting mode. I'll always give him a hard time about sitting down on the job and say how I don't understand how a person would find this to be more comfortable than splitting horizontally . . . but that said . . . the one thing that I most definitely wanted in a splitter was the ability to split vertically for two reasons . . . 1) once in a while I get some monster wood and it's wicked nice to be able to simply move the splitter into the vertical mode and roll the wood on to the base to split it into smaller chunks vs. man-handling it on to the splitter and 2) while I prefer splitting horizontally some folks like to split vertically . . . and there may be a day when I may be persuaded to go the way of the Dark side and split like Backwoods. Being able to go vertical gives one options.

Larger engines and gas: I used my Uncle's smaller wood splitter and I have used my own splitter . . . I don't see much difference in terms of time . . . how long it takes before I have to stop and refill the tank . . . and if the truth be told it's kind of nice to have a "forced break" at that point.

The size of engine on a hydraulic splitter has nothing to do with the power of the machine. It does determine the maximum size of pump that can be used effectively.
The Troy-built and Huskee 28 ton have larger cylinders but small 11 GPM pumps which will mean slow cycle times.
The Swisher and Huskee 34 ton have large cylinders but have 16 GPM pumps that will produce faster cycle times than the previous two.
The American will have the fastest cycle time of all the splitters having a 4" cylinder and a 16 GPM pump.
The Timberwolf with a 11 GPM pump will be slower than the American but slightly faster than the rest.

As far as 2-stage pumps used on log splitters, they are generic and can be used on any splitter as long as the engine meets the min. hp. requirement of the pump.

Once you get a spliter you will have more friends! I really like the troy built for what thats worth.

Greg H said:
One other thought, the "wedge on the end" models don't switch to vertical. A lot of the rounds that I get are 24"+ which are too heavy to lift. I can always wack them with the maul to split them in half. I know that the high end models have optional lifting devices but that is adding more expense to an already expensive machine. What do you see the trade offs as?
The splitter that I use is an old homemade horizontal only model. If a round is too big to lift, we just make a ramp out of splits and roll the big round up on the machine. This isn't something you want to do all the time, but comes in useful on rare occasions.

The Troy-Bilt at Lowes 27 ton 160cc Honda engine (4.6hp) $1400 does all I need to do. I do similar volume to what you discribe. Get a coupon, or military discount and just do it.

I use the vertical feature rarely.

I got a returned unit for about $1100 out the door. Replace the cradle to I-beam bolts with longer Grade 8 bolts. ; )

Mike

I will be the dissenter here and say that I really don't like the Troy Bilt. The log supports on either side of the beam are held up by four bolts which don't have a high enough shear strength. A pair of them will shear, but it won't be instantly obvious as the support just sits down a little and, on one side, rests up against a hydraulic hose, slowly wearing it. As Mike suggested, you could replace those with stronger bolts, but as I was borrowing the unit, I replaced them with OEM bolts - which of course are triangular shaped, and $4 each with shipping...

Now it's not a big deal to replace them, but it makes me think about other parts of the unit that may also have been designed badly. 27 tons and poor design concerns me. Given the reviews of some of the splitters from Northern Tool, I would go there first.

Love my Timberwolf and I'm glad I bought it, but that's largely because I got it for a TSC price from a dealer who needed cash more than he needed inventory...sold it for <cost, per my conversation with Timberwolf. I love having the 4-way wedge and would not have a wedge-on-beam machine without one. I've split with wedge-on-ram machines, and liked them a lot. The technique is different in how you maximize production between the two wedge positions, but once you get into the swing of things, they both can split quickly and efficiently.

All of the machines you point out will get the job done, if you do your part on preventative maintenance. Unless you have a compelling reason for one versus another, I'd be swayed largely by price and fit when standing in the operating position.

This is the American CLS 24 ton V/H we bought, it was is our first splitter we ever purchased. I'm not sure on the other models but after having used this I would say you can't go wrong with this brand.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0879-1.jpg
    100_0879-1.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 655
I just got the northstar 30 ton from northern tool delivered yesterday. It was on sale last week, so it was under 1800 delivered. Seems well built and has the honda gx engine. It compares well with the 33 ton that Lowes sells for 2150.

I'll post photos when I get it together. (many small pieces)

Thanks for all the advice. I felt like the donkey that starved to death trying to decide between two bales of hay.

I was all psyched up to buy the Swisher at Sears ($1888 plus fluid) when I checked Craigslist one more time. I found an American AM-24H listed the night before with the 4-way wedge and 13gph pump for $850.
I drove up and spilt some rounds and bought it for $800. It looks near new with supposedly only 20 cords on it. (It was a 2005)

When I called a dealer this morning I learned that this set up would currently cost me $2057 out the door!!

I also called American and the fellow (Larry) was very helpful.

I had to spilt a couple of really knarly pieces before I went to work (I’m sure the neighbors appreciated that). It sliced through them with ease.

I’m looking forward to playing with it tonight. I’ll post an update after a cord or two.

Greg H said:
Thanks for all the advice. I felt like the donkey that starved to death trying to decide between two bales of hay.

I was all psyched up to buy the Swisher at Sears ($1888 plus fluid) when I checked Craigslist one more time. I found an American AM-24H listed the night before with the 4-way wedge and 13gph pump for $850.
I drove up and spilt some rounds and bought it for $800. It looks near new with supposedly only 20 cords on it. (It was a 2005)

When I called a dealer this morning I learned that this set up would currently cost me $2057 out the door!!

I had to spilt a couple of really knarly pieces before I went to work (I’m sure the neighbors appreciated that). It sliced through them with ease.

I’m looking forward to playing with it tonight. I’ll post an update after a cord or two.

I think you will be happy with your purchase these things are built better then any that I've seen. I've never seen a Timberwolf but some of the others you listed don't compare from my judgement.

Zap

Greg H said:

I think it would be hard to beat a hydraulic splitter for $800 if it's in decent shape (and 20 cords isn't really all that much wood) . . . and in any case any brand hydraulic splitter has got to be easier and more fun to split wood than it would be to do so by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.