Splitter advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadD

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2012
Connecticut
I want to buy a log splitter so far the one that caught my eye is the
Ariens 917001 169cc Gas 27 Ton Splitter.

Anyone have this or have any experience with this unit or other recommendations?

Trying to keep it under $1600.

Subject coming up here a lot lately.
Lots here have the 22 ton Huskee from tractor supply
(Made by Speeco)
The 22 ton Speeco has split everything I've put on it. good fuel economy & nice features ;)

The Ariens unit has a great engine on it but for $1600 it's a bit slow @ 16.5 seconds. As Dave pointed out, many here have bought the Huskee 22 ton unit (retails around $1100) and are very happy. From what I've seen, it's the best bang for your buck until you get north of $2K.

Under $1600 bucks? I'd be looking at units between 20-22 tons and no bigger. 26 ton units with 5-6HP engines are going to be very slow due to the smaller pump size. Ton rating really is a loose specification anyways. Manufacturers love to advertise big numbers to sell equipment but really it's the engine/pump combo that makes the machine (speed/reliability), not just the size of the cylinder (power).

Reactions: ChadD
Status
Not open for further replies.