Splitter Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tractor 3-point plitters often cost about the same as a stand-alone splitter. This is that, unless you have a large tractor, you need to add in the cost of a PTO pump .

Last edited:
Some good points about having the tractor and splitter be separate units. I will concentrate my research away from that idea.

If you are going to combine parts from two different suppliers you might consider this splitter from Rugged made. It comes with all the bells and whistles and you might be able to pick it up in Boston.
http://www.ruggedmade.com/37-ton-log-splitter-fixed-blade-type-2b.html

I looked at that one too but I've never heard of ruggedmade. I think I would rather have an Iron Oak for $200 more even if I have to mismatch some parts. Unless there are some good reviews on the Ruggedmade?

The iron and oak has a good reputation. But the rugged made has some nice extra features. The four way and work table add value even though it's foreign made. And you don't have to add a valve for the lift table like you would with the iron and oak...

I will say that I like the design and build of the Rugged Made unit (it is new to me). I also like the use of the large diameter shaft in the cylinder. That will make for quick returns.
I am also an Iron and Oak fan as they are designed as more of a commercial unit (compared to box store versions). I think it is the farm boy in me that likes to see things over engineered and built.:cool:

ETA: My only problem I see with the Rugged Made is that the lift is on the wrong side of the spitter for me. I run the controls with my right hand.

I bought a Swisher 28 ton H/V on sale a couple of years ago. . I really like it and it has split everything I've thrown at it. I also like the fact I can switch it to vertical for big chunks. Before that we used my fathers custom rig. We live about 25 miles apart and I got sick of having to take it back and forth so I bought my own. If I had to complain I don't like the tire setup on it, I can only go 45mph with it. I'll often load it up on my trailer if I have to go a long ways.

The iron and oak has a good reputation. But the rugged made has some nice extra features. The four way and work table add value even though it's foreign made. And you don't have to add a valve for the lift table like you would with the iron and oak...

I think I'm leaning towards buying something American. Those extras like a four way and log table can be added to the Iron Oak. I think I would rather have a Iron and Oak splitter with one (log lift) foreign part, than but a machine that's all foreign.

The other splitter I found is the American 25HH High boy. They don't list the tonnage but if a 6way is an option my guess is it's a beefy machine. The only gripe I see is that the "working height" is 25". That seems really short to me. They start at $2650 and can add a log lift, table and a 4 or 6way. So many options. Does anyone have any experience with this splitter? http://www.americancls.com/products/high-boy/

The iron and oak had a 5" cylinder vs the american 25hh with a 4". Both have a 16 gpm so nominally the cyle time will be faster with the american 25hh.

But in use I bet the iron and oak will be faster since it will spend most of the time in high flow and not néed to go into low flow/high pressure. With a four way a 4" cylinder will spend quite a bit of time in low flow.

Between the two I'd go with the iron and oak.

Whatever you do, don't underestimate the benefits of a large and sturdy work table. I cannot even image using a push through without one. Watch the video of the Iron & Oak from the website you posted. I'm sorry, but that looks like a bad back waiting to happen. I'd consider a large work table to be more important than a four way. But maybe I just value my health more than my time. Could use the tractor bucket to split into, but then you have the same problem with using the splitter anywhere without it.

I think you are also underestimating the cost of adding all features the Rugged Made has. Plus all the work to add them to a splitter not designed for those specific parts. I love me some American made products....but for less than 10 cords a year total, I might cave to the Chinese on this one.

Speed isn't important to some, but it is to me. A slower machine can be annoying. I'd rather have a 28-ton faster cycle machine than a 35-ton model with 15+ second cycle time. Unless you are spending thousands of dollars, a 5" cylinder almost always means slow cycle time.

If you want horizontal with a log lift, I'd look to TimberWolf or American CLS. If you want the fastest speed with an output table and no lift, look Super Split.

There is a difference between working fast and working efficiently.

With a four inch "22 ton" cylinder the nominal cycle time will be faster but if you add a four way wedge the pump will go into low flow for a good portion of the extend stroke. When it does that it's putting out 1/4 of the rated flow. So with a nominal 10 second cyle time the real world cyle time will be 10 to 30 seconds. Depending on the the wood your splitting.

With a 5" cylinder and the same 16gpm pump and a thin style 4-way wedge the pump will almost never go into low flow. So your real world cycle times will stay close to the nominal 15 second cycle time.

You can nibble your way around a large log with a one way wedge on a 'fast' 22 ton splitter but I guarantee you a five inch cylinder and four way will put more wood in your pile per hour.

Time is important?

Look at the Splitfire 3255. http://www.split-fire.com/splitter_sc_3255.html Commercial quality. Other models are available including 3pt. Very high quality, super fast, and the standard at rental houses in my area. They can be optioned up with a log lift, raised height and 4 way which I recommend.

Also look at the Timberwolf TW5. I built a clone of a TW5 and its been a very good splitter too. http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/tw-5-log-splitter/ I took my TW clone and turned it into a processor.

20140918_170557_zpsb41c95ef.jpg

If money weren't an issue a horizontal with a lift would be the way to go. I have my money in saws and can noodle the big pieces faster and easier than splitting.

The super split / DR fast ones look nice also, but spendy - never used one.

I have a Huskee 22 tn and it does what I need it to do. The Huskee 22 does spend a good deal of time in 2nd stage on the big stuff, but does the job. It is light and can be pushed around on rough ground - can't do that with the bigger ones. I do mostly large splits for the outdoor furnace so if I split 8 cords a year, but to 8-10" splits it is half the work of splitting for stove wood. Some years I cut a lot of wood under 12" and do almost no splitting.

If I were to buy today I would probably get a DHT 28 ton for the faster cycle time. It has the better Kohler engine, faster cycle, but still not such a heavy frame.

Reactions: TreePointer
Thanks for all the great help on this. I thought I would close the loop. We decided to go for a Splitfire 3265 with log lift and 8" lift kit. We were impressed by the 3255 rental over the weekend. Now that we can get the bed height up to 32" my back should be happy too. Looking forward to splitting my fresh score of Ash. Thanks again for all your help and opinions.

A couple of years ago when I was in the market to trade my sledge and wedge for hydraulics I was considering a Huskee 22 from Tractor Supply. Then I found a brand new, never used Huskee 35 ton on Craigslist for $1000.! Same price as the 22 ton. The lady who was selling it said her husband bought it seven years earlier with the idea of moving it to their property in Arkansas. He then ran off with his secretary. The wife got tired of paying his storage fees so sold EVERYTHING. Other than being a little dusty, the splitter looked brand new. And... it had never had a drop of gasoline put into it. I added gas and on the second pull it fired right up.

It may be a bit slower than a 22 ton but everything I cut is oak and hickory. Big stuff. And this Huskee 35 hasn't been challenged yet.

Thanks Weimar, I will look into that.

Thanks for all the great help on this. I thought I would close the loop. We decided to go for a Splitfire 3265 with log lift and 8" lift kit. We were impressed by the 3255 rental over the weekend. Now that we can get the bed height up to 32" my back should be happy too. Looking forward to splitting my fresh score of Ash. Thanks again for all your help and opinions.

Splitfire.. Good choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.