Splitter advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i will say that I cannot ever turn the choke all the way off, so I am thinking that the kit might help.

Adding fuel at that altitude is telling us the problem is elsewhere.
It's obviously starving, which is usually confirmed with occasional popping
or a hiccup here and there at steady running rpms.

Modern (ie. ethanol added) fuels break down FAST. Lawnmowers and snowblowers
get hibernation sickness in one off season. That cure is to run it a few minutes every
month in the off season. If the splitter is idle for months, sounds like it's time to run
a can of Seafoam thru it. Varnish is clear and you'll see light thru a clogged jet. You may
need to run a fine wire thru all the passages. This is mega common with power washers,
garden tillers, and other motors that run one week a year.

The other angle is that if it's running good, don't mess with anything. lol

i will say that I cannot ever turn the choke all the way off, so I am thinking that the kit might help.

Mine ran well after reaming the jet, but it would surge when not under a load. It looked like the automatic throttle control was trying to back it off.

Adding fuel at that altitude is telling us the problem is elsewhere.
It's obviously starving, which is usually confirmed with occasional popping
or a hiccup here and there at steady running rpms.

Modern (ie. ethanol added) fuels break down FAST. Lawnmowers and snowblowers
get hibernation sickness in one off season. That cure is to run it a few minutes every
month in the off season. If the splitter is idle for months, sounds like it's time to run
a can of Seafoam thru it. Varnish is clear and you'll see light thru a clogged jet. You may
need to run a fine wire thru all the passages. This is mega common with power washers,
garden tillers, and other motors that run one week a year.

The other angle is that if it's running good, don't mess with anything. lol

I agree that it was behaving as you describe and I felt this was lack of fuel. The unit is brand new so I do not think age of gas is an issue. I am going to pick up some higher octane gas for it today and see if that helps. After I worked on it , the unit ran "good enough".

I guess it's been said but the speedco 22 ton is a good unit. Have split at least 10 cord for 5 years. Other people have borrowed it and I suspect they probably take as good care of it as i do. Haven't had any issues at all. And have not found a piece it won't split. The bolt on "table" is a back saver.

I have an Ariens 22T and love it. Light enough to move around and splits everything. I also looked at the DHT 22T and thought it looked very comparable.

Hi guys:

I've never owned (or used) a log splitter before, but my pile of "omg I do not want to split THAT" pieces is getting out of hand. ;)

Here's my list:

- Able to split big scary knotty hardwood crotches
- Vertical a must, able to split 48"+ rounds
- Speed not too important (I plan to continue split ting most of my wood by hand)
- Trailer mount would be awesome
- Cheaper is better, but I do want something that can split difficult stuff.

I was looking at this:. http://m.lowes.com/pd/Dirty-Hand-Tools-22-Ton-Gas-Log-Splitter/50223053?

Any suggestions? If I look at something used on craigslist, what am I looking for to tell if it'll handle tough rounds and crotches?

Thanks!
I have the Dirty Hands splitter and love it! It has been able to split everything. The log cradle works great and was a Huge back saver.

I have the Dirty Hands splitter and love it! It has been able to split everything. The log cradle works great and was a Huge back saver.

I still haven't found a piece that the dht-22 won't split, and I've got some 48" oak in my pile (which is getting smaller rapidly!)

I have done most of my splitting vertically so far, but I can see the value to a log catcher... though I'm a lot more likely to put a piece of plywood on a couple sawhorses than I am to pay $80 for one. :)

I love the log catcher. I do most of my splitting horizontal ( even though there are a lot of pieces I should do vertically) and it is super helpful. I've been thinking about getting the 4 way wedge

Status
Not open for further replies.