Splitter and John Deere B

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
I've got a John Deere B (1948). I've got Hydraulics and a PTO to work with, but this doesn't have a 3pt hitch. is there something that would work well (and be lower cost) that could split well?

Here she is. Don't be fooled by the recent paint job. This aint for parades. She likes to work even though she lives on my parents farm and is semi-retired.
P1010049Small.jpg

th_P1010049Small.jpg

ahhh, the heck with the img urls
http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j53/DannoSpider/John Deere B/?action=view&current=P1010049Small.jpg

seriously, this is pissing me off:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j53/DannoSpider/John Deere B/P1010049Small.jpg

aww, c'mon. I give up. Copy and paste.

I think the problem is the space after the "John". Nope, that didn't work either...it couldn't find the page. (I think your PhotoBucket has a hole in it!)

common dano i like john deer green

ok, so i downloaded the pic and then just uploaded straight to the forum.

Attachments

• P1010049Small.jpg
    P1010049Small.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 895
NICE, keep her workin danno

Ok now that we got passed that what was the question again? You want to build s splitter to work off the tractor hydraulics? Been there done that. Ask you questions and learn from my mistakes if you like.

’bert said:
Ok now that we got passed that what was the question again? You want to build s splitter to work off the tractor hydraulics? Been there done that. Ask you questions and learn from my mistakes if you like.
i was hoping there was a splitter out there already that could run off the hydraulics and doesn't require a 3pt hitch. by the time I add the 3pt hitch and buy the splitter I have spent as much as just buying a regular gas splitter.

i do read that I might have problems with this being such an old tractor and the hydraulics not being sufficient....

Would it make any sense to do a "tow behind" like a trailer, with a hydraulic pump running off the PTO? Don't know your tractor's specs, but a lot of tractors, especially older ones, don't really have the hydraulic output to run a splitter off their internal system, it can work a lot better to spin a hydraulic pump with the PTO... Not quite the same as having a 3-point mount, but thinking of a trailer style unit w/o the engine...

Gooserider

The Prince 20 gpm PTO pumps are 4 or 5 bills. Even when you do find them used on Ebay, they get upwards of 3. My older Ford has an 8.7 gpm pump and while slow can split a lot of wood on very little diesel.

I'd want a 3PH for it anyway.
---------------------------------is that the model with the gas engine to warm up the diesel engine to start in cold weather ?

Bolt a stickler Cone to a rear wheel hub ?

Won't your pump just be slow if it's under-rated ?

billb3 said:
Won't your pump just be slow if it's under-rated ?

If you are working with rounds that don't split in the first inch or two, it is painfully slow. You also have to run at a pretty high throttle with a low flow pump. Doesn't seem to consume much fuel with such a low load but it is loud.

Running a splitter off the tractor hydraulics will prove to be frustrating if you need any real force. Hydraulics on tractors this old run at around 1000 to 1200 psi, maybe a little more. If the old Deere's used a higher pressure system hopefully someone will correct me. At that pressure you will need a huge cylinder to get usable force from a splitter and a huge cylinder will take forever to cycle with a small displacement pump (like what is typically on older tractors). Coupling a pump to the PTO will be a better solution, but you will need a decent size pump as the PTO speed is only 540 RPM. I've never seen a trailer style unit for this type of application (without a motor), you will have to build one from the ground up. Perhaps you can find a trailer type splitter with a blown engine for sale cheap and retrofit a PTO driven pump for your tractor. Either way is likely to get pricey, unless you have a line on used components or can scrounge the parts you need.

Your GPM and PSI of the hydraulics on the B are not really ideal for a splitter, plus it seems silly to put hours on the B when a 5hp B&S will do the job just fine. I'd vote for buying a tow-behind splitter and calling it good.

computeruser said:
Your GPM and PSI of the hydraulics on the B are not really ideal for a splitter, plus it seems silly to put hours on the B when a 5hp B&S will do the job just fine. I'd vote for buying a tow-behind splitter and calling it good.
yeah, this is the direction i was leaning. Just wasn't sure if i could get it done for 1/2 the cost by having something that ran off the tractor. still not sure i'll even bother. Been splitting by hand for the past 4 years, don't see a big reason to stop now.

Separate the splitter from the tractor. You really don't want the splitter to be dependent on the tractor. Its value will be greatly reduced (because it will be unique). Your effeciency will be reduced (fuel consumption on the tractor) and your tractor value will decline (hours on the tractor engine using the splitter).

Status
Not open for further replies.