Splitter and Tractor Pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from the inside of fossil's woodshed. Really.

shedinside3-jpg.9065

Go big or go home!

IMG_0208.jpg

K

Splitter on Steroids! I presume out door burner? Splitting that big, is a benifit?

Nope, it all gets cut down to 16" before it goes inside.

We split 4', let it season then cut it down to size with a cord wood saw (buzz saw or what have you). The cord wood saw is fast, much faster then a chain saw. I also feel it's safer. Yeah it's a 36" blade but it's always in the same place and if it's sharpened properly you don't get any binding kicking back etc.

It's somewhat common farmer method around here (farmers have tractors so a cord wood saw is just another attachment), I don't see a lot of people doing this on Hearth though.

K

Nope, it all gets cut down to 16" before it goes inside.

We split 4', let it season then cut it down to size with a cord wood saw (buzz saw or what have you). The cord wood saw is fast, much faster then a chain saw. I also feel it's safer. Yeah it's a 36" blade but it's always in the same place and if it's sharpened properly you don't get any binding kicking back etc.

It's somewhat common farmer method around here (farmers have tractors so a cord wood saw is just another attachment), I don't see a lot of people doing this on Hearth though.

K

Haven't seen one of those buzz saws in operation since my grandparents (farmers) used to cut up their wood that way back in the 1980s . . . they were pretty neat . . . and fast . . . but generally the wood they cut up in this way was on the smaller side -- never more than 4-6 inches in diameter. Bigger wood = using a chainsaw.

Reactions: flyingcow
Haven't seen one of those buzz saws in operation since my grandparents (farmers) used to cut up their wood that way back in the 1980s . . . they were pretty neat . . . and fast . . . but generally the wood they cut up in this way was on the smaller side -- never more than 4-6 inches in diameter. Bigger wood = using a chainsaw.

Yeah, we don't cut anything bigger then that either. In 4' chunks they get heavy, that and my Tarm doesn't like really big spits.

The process has it's up side and it's down side but it works well for us.

K

Status
Not open for further replies.