Splitter build DOT platform

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
I've laid out a material list to build my own splitter using a W8x28 beam, honda GX or Kohler 13hp motor and a 5"x24" cylinder. Wet weight of components will be around 600 lbs. (gas, 10 gal. hydraulic oil, etc.). Scouring CL, it's difficult to find any trailer platform to work off of and something small enough to stick in the corner of a garage.

Anyone have experience with the $190, 40"x48" trailer HF sells?
http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-42708.html

It would be nice to bolt the beam to the crossrails, mount some diamond plate for motor/hyd. tank mount and be done but how long will something like this last taking the abuse of having large rounds drop on it over and over considering the trailer is only rated to 870 lbs.

hedge.jpg I have the HF 4x8 folder trailer and have thoroughly abused it. I has held up pretty well hauling double the rated capacity at low speed behind my quad. I bent the frame slightly when setting a big chunk of concrete (probably 700ish lbs) on with with the excavator and the chain slipped (whoops)...I don't think you will have trouble with firewood.

Here's about 1/3 cord of green-ish hedge...and I've had a lot more than that on there before. That's probably about 1700 lbs, give or take. It made the quad groan a little.

Reactions: bioman
I 've made a small one from a larger folding one. Look for a used folding one on CL. Use the extra parts (from the folding rear platform) to over build your trailer.

Attachments

• trailer red load.jpg
    trailer red load.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 204
View attachment 106948 I have the HF 4x8 folder trailer and have thoroughly abused it. I has held up pretty well hauling double the rated capacity at low speed behind my quad. I bent the frame slightly when setting a big chunk of concrete (probably 700ish lbs) on with with the excavator and the chain slipped (whoops)...I don't think you will have trouble with firewood.

Here's about 1/3 cord of green-ish hedge...and I've had a lot more than that on there before. That's probably about 1700 lbs, give or take. It made the quad groan a little.

Nice bunch of yellow wood there lukem !

Also keep in mind that altering a trailer is a pretty easy proposition in most cases. An old boat trailer or a single place snow machine trailer can be modified pretty quickly to match your needs.

Notice the trailer that the genny is sitting on. That USED to be a single place snowmobile trailer...title and all.
100_1549.jpg

View attachment 106948 I have the HF 4x8 folder trailer and have thoroughly abused it. I has held up pretty well hauling double the rated capacity at low speed behind my quad. I bent the frame slightly when setting a big chunk of concrete (probably 700ish lbs) on with with the excavator and the chain slipped (whoops)...I don't think you will have trouble with firewood.

hi if you ever get to md i have a lot of trailer axles and frames for trailers from 1500 lb cap to 10k cap call me if you need something 410.245.4332

Status
Not open for further replies.