Splitter Build.. Have some questions related to hydraulics.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should the pump be level or below the outlet port of the tank?

I don't see how it could be on the supply. Most filter housings I see are 200psi max. If on the return, can it be mounted just prior to entering the tank? I've seen them on the return side of the valve and to me, this would be prone to damage.
The important part about the pump is that it should be below the level of the fluid. Doing that insures that it can never drain.

The filter at the return is a very acceptable position. In the higher end machines you will find a suction strainer in the tank for the feed to the pump and a filter on the return side to the tank. Position is pretty irrelevant.

The important part about the pump is that it should be below the level of the fluid. Doing that insures that it can never drain.

Makes sense but I see alot of splitters where the tank is below the pump and is part of the frame.

I see a lot of splitters that can go vertical - but I don't like that either.;lol

It is best to have the pump below the fluid level of the reservoir.

The pressure in the line between the control valve and the reservoir should rarely exceed 15 psi, higher pressure could be caused by a clogged filter or vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.