Splitter coupler difficulty

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ampamp

Oct 31, 2010
Buffalo - Rochester
anybody have the same issue? i have a mtd 25ton splitter and once i get the coupler (that's on the spliiter) onto the 2" ball on my truck or atv.........it's brutal to get off.....i mean really brutal. I had to take the ball off the atv to get the splitter off my atv. i've verified that in the unlocked position the spring device isn't interfering at all. So...I put the splitter on the ball and if i push down a bit on the ball it snaps into place. at that point it's not coming off to easy....and there's my problem. I actually brought a caliper from work to check the 2" ball.....both of mine are within .005". They're fine. I put a new coupler on that I bought from napa and it works great. it's a 2" ball, 2" sleeve, 3500 ton coupler (just like i had). I'm guessing the coupler the splitter came with was machined to tight? Either way, i don't really want to get a replacement part from mtd...i figure they'll send me the same coupler with the same issue. any thoughts?

Did you try a pinch of grease!

The spring device doesn't interfere at all. It's the coupler hole specifically that slides over the ball. They don't even touch when it's in the open position....so there's no issue there.

We had to loosen ours a lot. Then I ended up putting a wheel on it so I can move it easy without hitching on the atv.

Hi Backwoods Savage.....jsut curious on the wheel that you mentioned you put on your splitter. I've see a few slick setups on spitters and it always looked like it would be much more practiacal/functional too. Did you by parts and rig something up yourself or did you get a kit of some sort to attach to the tongue of the splitter? I have a picture of the setup I saw...if I can find it quicklike, I'll post it. You'll probaby appreciate it.

Here's the pic I was referring too. I like this setup on a splitter. Guess it would be pretty easy to buy the parts? Just need to make sure the wheel assembly swivels and lock in the up position for travel?

Attachments

• wheel stand for splitter.jpg
    wheel stand for splitter.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 198
amp said:
Hi Backwoods Savage.....jsut curious on the wheel that you mentioned you put on your splitter. I've see a few slick setups on spitters and it always looked like it would be much more practiacal/functional too. Did you by parts and rig something up yourself or did you get a kit of some sort to attach to the tongue of the splitter? I have a picture of the setup I saw...if I can find it quicklike, I'll post it. You'll probaby appreciate it.

I went really simple: Trailer jack

I think I paid $19.95 for the one I got. It works fine.

Will look for your picture.

I have the same issue on my Huskee 22 ton. Real PITA to get it off the ball

I still have the new coupler and bolts to put the new coupler on.....but I still wonder if my old coupler is really fine. As i mentioned before, I grinded a little off on the inside of the coupler and it goes on / off really easy now. So if someone does do this....i strongly urge to go in baby steps vs grinding too much away. The way mine acts now is......with the coupler locked..moving the splitter foward and backward there's little or no slop between the ball and coupler hole. Although there is a little slop up / down when the coupler is locked. With the coupler locked, I can't imagine this popping off the ball, but when i tested the new coupler it fit like a glove...no slop at all. That coupler was bought at napa. It's slightly more light duty, but it is a class 2 and this is only the weight of a splitter. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.