1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Splitter Cylinder suggestions

Post in 'The Gear' started by gzecc, Jan 9, 2013.

1. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    The cylinder on my splitter has some issues. Its 5" with a 2" rod. It has pitting at the wedge end and has a minor bend in it. My perception is that I can not fit a 24" cylinder on this beam. I would like to add a cylinder and have it mounted with a clevis/ pin (not welded). Do you guys think a 5x20" would suffice.
    Or should I try to unbend the existing rod and limit the retraction of the ram somehow?
    The inside distance between the foot and head is 60". I would like to use the existing wedge.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Couple questions:

How long is the cylinder that's on there now? (I'm assuming 24"?) Whatever length you go with, I would make sure that when it's mounted, it cannot extend to the point of contact with the foot plate.

Any idea how it got bent to begin with?

How big is the pump? I'd consider downsizing the cylinder to 4.5" if it's a 16gpm pump. Still going to have more than enough power, less stress on the machine frame, and faster cycles to boot.
  3. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Pump is a 16. I go this from a rental company. It was already bent. Didn't know they made 4.5's. What size rod?
    1 3\4?
  4. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest