Splitter deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Wood

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
Dutchess Cty, NY
I have been keeping my eye out for a deal on a splitter. Stopped in at Tractor Supply today and they have a repaired Huskee 22 ton that they will give me 25% off on. The repair was for a "control valve sticking". I started and ran the splitter and it seemed fine. It looks brand new. They have it on hold for me. Good deal or not? Anything to look out for?

Got Wood said:
I have been keeping my eye out for a deal on a splitter. Stopped in at Tractor Supply today and they have a repaired Huskee 22 ton that they will give me 25% off on. The repair was for a "control valve sticking". I started and ran the splitter and it seemed fine. It looks brand new. They have it on hold for me. Good deal or not? Anything to look out for?

i'd say good deal

Depends; 25% off of what price? It sounds really good but... Too many times it is 25% off a jacked up price. New price has been around $1,000.00 as of late.

List price is $999.99. At $750 go for it, that's a great deal.

So, have you put it to work yet? We want pics.

It would be $750. I dont have it yet as there was some confusion as to whether or not it had actually been repaired. It had a tag on it saying it had been and the price was reduced however their computer system was saying it had not been repaired yet. They tagged it with my name while they verify.
I'll certainly post some pic's if/when I do the deal and put it to work! Need to get some more scrounging as I have been manually splitting and keeping up that way. My shoulder is hurting and it wont be long before I do real damage if I keep pounding away on it. I really enjoy the manual splitting but it isnt worth messing up my shoulder further.
Currently working on 2011/2012 wood supply. This is year two for me burning.... I have been obsessed with the wood processing....

Got Wood said:
It would be $750. I dont have it yet as there was some confusion as to whether or not it had actually been repaired. It had a tag on it saying it had been and the price was reduced however their computer system was saying it had not been repaired yet. They tagged it with my name while they verify.
I'll certainly post some pic's if/when I do the deal and put it to work! Need to get some more scrounging as I have been manually splitting and keeping up that way. My shoulder is hurting and it wont be long before I do real damage if I keep pounding away on it. I really enjoy the manual splitting but it isnt worth messing up my shoulder further.
Currently working on 2011/2012 wood supply. This is year two for me burning.... I have been obsessed with the wood processing....

go for it... if you have the card you can ask for no payments for a year

Doesn't TSC have coupons somewhere as well? Or is that just with a new card?

750 is a good price...and it's not like they'll give you a hard time if something breaks in a few months.

SolarAndWood said:
Doesn't TSC have coupons somewhere as well? Or is that just with a new card?

I searched their web site and goggled TSC coupons. I didnt find any that would apply to a logsplitter. If someone is aware I'd appreciate the tip!!!

Got Wood said:

I haven't had any luck finding coupons for TSC when I need one.

The splitter is still $1000 new... (You said there was some confusion if it had been repaired.)

Are they giving you a warranty with it ?? ...How do they know that's the only thing wrong with it ??

(JMHO) I would pay the extra and buy new.

I pulled the trigger today, $750 plus tax with full warranty. Took it home and ran some rounds through it and it runs great. I think some of the rounds I had were Elm as it was stringy and had a "elm smell" to it. I did take a couple pictures and will post once I get them off the camara.

Congrats...hard to argue with that.

Picture of my new toy in my "Woodland"

Attachments

• DSC01625W.jpg
    DSC01625W.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 367
Got Wood said:
I pulled the trigger today, $750 plus tax with full warranty. Took it home and ran some rounds through it and it runs great. I think some of the rounds I had were Elm as it was stringy and had a "elm smell" to it. I did take a couple pictures and will post once I get them off the camara.

I think you got a good deal . . . the full warranty would seal it for me.

Plus, I know it's hard to say whether or not this happened . . . but it seems to me that sometimes folks buy large ticket items for temporary use (i.e. large screen TVs for the Superbowl) and then find a "problem" with the item so they can return it without any penalty . . . I know I picked up a generator that supposedly had a problem and was returned . . . the thing is, the generator that had a problem with it running had no gas in the gas tank and a sticker was still stuck on the muffler and no paint had burned off -- it was pretty clear to me that someone had bought it, found out they didn't need it (this was during a prolonged power outage) and returned it with a supposed mechanical issue.

Got Wood said:
Picture of my new toy in my "Woodland"

Very nice!!!

I was glad to hear that you got a full warranty with it... Now you can say you got a great deal!!

Hope you enjoy it.

Oh thanks for the pic GW...looks like you have a few years supply working there...good job. What are your thoughts on splitting vertical so far? I'm old school and don't think I could wrestle those rounds on they're ends...course our splitter beam is only 6-8" off the ground. Big rounds roll up a ramp of splitter trash.

But savage, those big rounds roll much better if you don't have to go uphill. We just roll them to the splitter and push them over and split. I've split some white oak, with knots that were 4' in diameter and it is easy getting them to the splitter and on the splitting block. I just can't see rolling them up a ramp or even lifting the smaller pieces. Nope, give me a short chair and a hot seat to keep my butt warm and I'll sit there and split all day without lifting those suckers.

I'd say you got a great deal. I have the same splitter and have been happy with it.

That's a good deal. I say a similiar situation at TSC but they only reduced it $100 and when I offered them $800 they acted like I was trying to rob the store.

I am "vertical" splitter guy - to me it is MUCH easier.... no contest over horizontal.

I have done pretty well with stock piling wood - in my first year last year I burned 5 cords. Scrounged and worked hard all winter and ended April with 11 cord CSS. Took the summer off and started back up after Labor Day, although not pushing it yet, and have another 2 cord CSS. My goal is to end April with 15 cord CSS - 3 yr worth. We'll see how I do.... this splitter greatly reduces my time to process but I'm not getting the same physical value vs splitting manually. Its a trade off, I'm sure I will still split some manually just cause I like it, but when the shoulder starts aching I can back off.

Backwoods Savage said:
But savage, those big rounds roll much better if you don't have to go uphill.

There is a big difference between the horizontal splitters like savage's that effectively sit on the ground and the ones that are waist high. I have both styles of horizontal as well as a vertical. The lowboy horizontal is no harder to load than the vertical. Picking up large rounds to get them on the 25" high horizontal is initially more work but is a very pleasant way to split once you get them there. All three have their advantages.

Attachments

• both splitters.jpg
    both splitters.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 195
Also depends allot and where you live and the type of timber available. For me a tree that is 24" across would be a good size tree. Typical is more 16" - 18" so picking them up is no big deal. I never try to pick stuff up from the ground anyway. When it is bucked up it goes onto the trailer and from the trailer to the splitter. The less bending over the better. Besides the government has me doing all the bending over I can handle :-S

I have issues with my back and shoulders but picking up rounds and placing them on the horizontal beam is therapeutic. Sitting and reaching for rounds would aggravate my back and shoulders.

Alberta Burner said:
When it is bucked up it goes onto the trailer and from the trailer to the splitter.

Gonna have to try that one, the deck of my trailer is the same height as the beam on my latest splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.