Splitter first time this year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
Yes sad to say it was the first time the splitter was fired up this year. But it was sweet. This was the a big Oak that blew over and was hung up in hurricane Irena. What great splitting and burning wood Oak is. Almost a shame I am burning this. By the time I was done the split pile was 4 times the size. I will leave the pile and stack it in the spring.

This is why you need to splitter that does vertical splitting. You can barely roll these rounds.

Tom

Attachments

• Oak 20111015-00139.jpg
    Oak 20111015-00139.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 466
I hear that. Just split the rest of the monster red oak rounds i had from a year or so ago. Dried out more than I thought it wood so maybe it will be burned next year...

Very nice but why wait for spring to stack?

Splitter almost a replica of mine and Zap's. Mine's just a bit older.

Dennis.
No special reason for letting them sit out thru the winter, just what I normally do, fall splitting and spring stacking. Now they are wet and heavy. I'm going to weigh a few splits to see how much they drop by the spring. Since I'm about 4 years ahead, I cover my wood so this is my way of airing them out. I must admit I really like looking out the window and seeing a small mountain of wood under the snow.

Mine has a 5 HP Tecumseh. I run it 1/2 speed and I goes fast enough, and nothing stops it. Have you changed the Hydro oil? I ask because I don't know if the type speced is available. What oil did you use?

Tom

Backwoods Savage said:

Its missing the milk crate though.

I love red oak rounds like that! Dad and I quartered up a NICE one over the weekend with ye olde hammer/wedges. It's in The Barn (TM) waiting for some Fiskars action, possibly tomorrow or Wednesday.

Very nice
Gotta a close up picture of the hitch, look like you have a high enough ball on the ATV that makes it easier to hook up.

+1 Backwoods Savage:: why wait for spring to stack?
It will dry more evenly & faster if stacked on pallets, not take much time for the benefits you get.
"Come on man" !! :)
You got oak, I'm envious.

Tom, I do the cutting during the winter and stack the rounds. Then after snow melt I do all the splitting with stacking following as soon as the splitting is done. It works well for me. I have taken the splitter to the woods a few times but only when cutting large trees and most of our trees are not so large that I can't handle the rounds, albeit a bit slow.

Our splitter has a 5 hp B & S and I run it about 2/3 throttle. I have yet to change the oil as I see no need. Just change the filter every so often and it has worked out well.

rottiman said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Its missing the milk crate though.

We may have to work on that one. Perhaps take up a collection to buy one for Tom.

xman23 said:
Yes sad to say it was the first time the splitter was fired up this year. But it was sweet. This was the a big Oak that blew over and was hung up in hurricane Irena. What great splitting and burning wood Oak is. Almost a shame I am burning this. By the time I was done the split pile was 4 times the size. I will leave the pile and stack it in the spring.

This is why you need to splitter that does vertical splitting. You can barely roll these rounds.

Tom

Tom nice splitter, just remember Sav's splitter is much older then ours. ;-)

zap

Well Zap, Sav is a bit older too...

I love those big Red Oak rounds! Try splitting a few by hand, it might be easier than using the machine. Green red Oak is about the easiest splitting wood out there.

Flatbed, I agree I could beat the splitter doing this by hand, Red oak is one shot with the maul. But since I've have a splitter, and I plan on a day of splitting I use it.

Dave, you can see the hitch in this picture. I made it this year. No it's not high enough for a easy on and off without lifting the splitter leg. Just no good strong mounting high enough on the ATV.

Zap, I know Dennis's splitter is much older than ours. They upgraded the milk crate with the newer padded plastic bucket when I got mine.

I know the tarps will get some comment's, but I am a nut about keeping it dry and vented. Any wood here that gets wet attracts black ants. It's all oak under there.

Tom

Attachments

• Seat 20111015-00138.jpg
    Seat 20111015-00138.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 263
I made one for my ATV.
Drilled a big hole in the bottom of a 4X4 that fits over the ball.
Most of the weight is on the ball. Then adapted some wood & brackets that hold it in place. fairly easy on & off.
Got tired of almost cutting off my fingers with the folding splitter tongue stand.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/72817/

Thanks Dave, I missed this thread. I have been looking for simple design.

Status
Not open for further replies.