Splitter help.... New here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Caiati

May 12, 2013
Boiling Springs, PA
Hello all,

I am in the market for a log splitter. I have been burning for three years and always rent a splitter. If like to buy my own. I was thinking lowes or Home Depot.... Good choice? I'd like one with a 4-way wedge. I'm splitting oak if that helps... I would greatly appreciate advice!

I'm happy with my Husky 22 ton - work through most rounds - oak will be a cake walk for you, unless super gnarly. Look for sales - sometimes at $999. Cheers!

Reactions: blujacket
=
I'm happy with my Husky 22 ton - work through most rounds - oak will be a cake walk for you, unless super gnarly. Look for sales - sometimes at $999. Cheers!

What he said!
I was just fishing up your way with my nephews from Carlisle. Great stocking by the local angler's club.
Welcome and Buona Fortuna!

You're gonna get a lot of responses recommending the Huskee (Tractor Supply) unit. And there's a good reason for that. ;)

BTW: You never mentioned a budget, since you did mention HD/Lowes, I'm assuming it's around $1000-$1400 or so. If you want to play with a $2K+ splitter, re-post and you'll get some different choices.

Keep an eye on CL and find a used or homemade splitter. They are a dime a dozen around here for under $500.

You can walk into a TSC during many sales and leave with a 22 ton for 999. Check the sig lines on members for who is using what. You will see a Huskee at the bottom of this post. Very happy with mine.

Reactions: TreePointer
Status
Not open for further replies.