Splitter improvements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I did a quick and dirty repower of a splitter my FIL built last year from a 4 cyl Wisconsin to a 5 hp electric. I split 15 cord with it and think this is my long term splitting solution. However, my mounting and weather shield leave a little to be desired. I am thinking that mounting the motor and pump in a box similar to the one on the front of the dump trailer would protect from the elements, reduce noise and provide a compartment for the cord.

I am a little concerned about the heat though. This seem like a legitimate concern?

I am also thinking that holes for the hoses to run through the wall of the box are preferable to fittings?

Attachments

• splitter2.jpg
    splitter2.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 339
  • splitter1.jpg
    splitter1.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 328
  • splitter3.jpg
    splitter3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 340
bigger view

Attachments

• right side splitter.jpg
    right side splitter.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 332
It could, below is the rating system for electric motors. The insulation class of your motor should be on the tag. you could vent the box and hook up a small electric 110 fan on one side and cut some small slot vents on the opposite side. Those rating are in Celsius, to convert Celsius (Centigrade) to Fahrenheit, multiply by 1.8 and add 32.
I believe it would be a good idea to permanently cover the motor if it will stay out in the elements all the time. If it stays in some kind of covered shed or even a tarp when not being used it would be OK with out the cover.

INSULATION CLASS
Insulation have been standardized and graded by their resistance to thermal aging and failure. Four insulation classes are in common use. For simplicity, they have been designated by the letters A, B, F, and H. The temperature capabilities of these classes are separated from each other by 25° C increments. The temperature capabilities of each insulation class is defined as being the maximum temperature at which the insulation can be operated to yield an average life of 20,000 hours. The rating for 20,000 hours of average insulation life is as shown below.

Insulation Class
A 105° C
B 130° C
F 155° C
H 180° C

I bet it gets to be 300 degrees in there real quick. This is my current front runner for a case. I'm thinking I'll drill a bunch of holes in the ends and then mount a fan blade on the shaft near the pump coupler.

Attachments

• mine detector box.jpg
    mine detector box.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 287
SolarAndWood said:
I did a quick and dirty repower of a splitter my FIL built last year from a 4 cyl Wisconsin to a 5 hp electric. I split 15 cord with it and think this is my long term splitting solution. However, my mounting and weather shield leave a little to be desired. I am thinking that mounting the motor and pump in a box similar to the one on the front of the dump trailer would protect from the elements, reduce noise and provide a compartment for the cord.

I am a little concerned about the heat though. This seem like a legitimate concern?

I am also thinking that holes for the hoses to run through the wall of the box are preferable to fittings?

That looks like an air over style of motor to me and I would advise that you do not enclose it.. If it were a TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled) you could get away with vents using an enclosure as these forcefully move the air and not rely on natural cooling as yours does.. TEFC is a better outdoor style of motor but yours will work if you avoid lots of dust and rain..

Ray

Thanks Ray. It is one of the free style motors off a rotted compressor. Do you think i would get away with running it with the top off the box?

SolarAndWood said:
Thanks Ray. It is one of the free style motors off a rotted compressor. Do you think i would get away with running it with the top off the box?

You may be able to get away with it however if the motor isn't thermally protected I wouldn't.. You may find it's noisier running inside a metal enclosure though unless you add sound deadening foam or similar (think it may reverberate somewhat)..

Ray

Prop the lid open when running , close when done.
My mill has lots of motors and under any kind of load in the heat of the summer they get HOT. I woodn't permanentLEE enclose it.

Nice setup. How does it work compared to the gaser?

The 5 hp electric with the 16 gpm pump is just about perfect. 4.5 inch cylinder gives decent power and cycle time with that pump. Height of the beam is good for me.

I got the Wisconsin running again after 15 years of sitting in the orchard. It seemed like a lot of motor for the job and needed some love. I always process adjacent to the shed so electric works for me and flip the switch is pretty convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.