Splitter injury

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never one for safety equipment, but 2 of my friends had chainsaw accidents.

So I bought myself a hardhat/ear protection/faceshields in one. It has saved me so many blows to the face/ringing ears I can't work without it. I love it. It's super convenient. Once in a while I'll think it's easier to not use the faceshield and I'll get sawdust in my eye. Then I'll curse myself for being so dumb. And I wear eyeglasses.

One of my friends recently had a lens in his eye replaced. He decided to go with 20/40 rather than 20/20. Figured he would be safer if he wore glasses all time.

A few years back I kept my safety glasses hanging on a bent up paper clip on the partition wall in my office. On the way out to fight a grass fire, I grabbed my glasses and went to put them on, only to find out (the hard way) that the paper clip got pinched in the hinge and as I put the glasses on the paper clip went right to my eye. No penetration or scratching, kind scary/funny.

Bugboy said:
A few years back I kept my safety glasses hanging on a bent up paper clip on the partition wall in my office. On the way out to fight a grass fire, I grabbed my glasses and went to put them on, only to find out (the hard way) that the paper clip got pinched in the hinge and as I put the glasses on the paper clip went right to my eye. No penetration or scratching, kind scary/funny.

Wow. Scary is right. You'd think we grown-ups would be able to use safety glasses without hurting ourselves, but apparently not.

I used two splitters for a couple years, one was a super split, and the other hydraulic, I never had a problem with the super split, but lost gloves twice to the hydraulic splitter. since it was slow I just wasn't as careful around it, both times I was able to get my hand out of the glove before it got split. with the super split I made sure I was clear before pulling the handle....
There was a guy at work who had an oxygen servicing hose explode on him (1800 psi or so) it was a flexible hose with a braided steel covering on it, it shattered his glasses and embedded steel into his face, but the glasses saved his eyes.

rowerwet said:
I used two splitters for a couple years, one was a super split, and the other hydraulic, I never had a problem with the super split, but lost gloves twice to the hydraulic splitter. since it was slow I just wasn't as careful around it, both times I was able to get my hand out of the glove before it got split. with the super split I made sure I was clear before pulling the handle....
There was a guy at work who had an oxygen servicing hose explode on him (1800 psi or so) it was a flexible hose with a braided steel covering on it, it shattered his glasses and embedded steel into his face, but the glasses saved his eyes.

All kinds of horrible things can happen to you with equipment. I think a lot of times, the biggest danger comes when we think we know what we're doing and get comfortable with it-- and then a little careless.

The splitter I have is a little 4-ton electric that requires two hands to operate, one on the motor button and one on the lever that moves the pusher. No question that when I'm fighting a difficult piece, the temptation is incredibly strong to reach up and adjust the piece. Having to use two hands is without a doubt a pain in the neck, but I'm really glad it works that way. We're all prone to bouts of the Stoopids every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.