Splitter is going to eat well this weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
There were a few rounds in the loads today that will be making me wish I had a log lift.

Attachments

• 082511 oak 1.jpg
    082511 oak 1.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 738
  • 082511 oak 2.jpg
    082511 oak 2.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 737
Solar very nice, what type of wood is it.

zap

More Black Oak. One more load to go.

Solar.. Very Nce. Them are some Big Rounds. Like Zap asked, what type of wood?

I still have a few Bigger Maple Rounds, along with the White and Pin Oak from last weekend and an Ash Scrounge from Yesterday.. Got some Cheap help coming over this weekend. 1st tim I have had some help (Besides my 9 yr old son). Cant wait.

Attachments

• Oak and Ash (Lots).jpg
    Oak and Ash (Lots).jpg
    86 KB · Views: 665
  • Oak and Maple.jpg
    Oak and Maple.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 655
DexterDay said:
Them are some Big Rounds.

Yep, there are a few monsters in there. At least most of them are straight.

Just looking at them makes my back hurt!

SolarAndWood said:
More Black Oak. One more load to go.

Nice, is that pile high enough to block some of this wind coming?

zap

rdust said:

lol, the Ibuprofen is already in. The pile of January wood growing eases the pain.

Attachments

• 082111  black oak phase 1.jpg
    082111 black oak phase 1.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 652
zapny said:
Nice, is that pile high enough to block some of this wind coming?

Depends on the direction. Given how wet it has been, it could get ugly. The house the Oak came from had a blow down in the front yard today just from the wind last night.

I had some birch a few weeks ago that was that size. I have an 18" bar on my saw and it was no where near long enough to cut without having to go on both sides. The little "3 ton" electric table top splitter split it all up just fine.
No idea how much it weighed, but a few of them it took some serious man noises to lift them. I'd guess well over 150lb, as my dog is ~100lbs and I have no trouble lifting him.

SolarAndWood said:
DexterDay said:
Them are some Big Rounds.

Yep, there are a few monsters in there. At least most of them are straight.
Had to noodle that one in the bottom pic to get it in the trailer? :gulp:

Woody Stover said:
Yep, there are a few monsters in there. At least most of them are straight. Had to noodle that one in the bottom pic to get it in the trailer? :gulp:

lol, no. First time rookie noodling experience. 24" bar was only about 12" too short to do it clean.

XactLEE said:
Solar, you need a pig pole with some tongs for loading those hogs on the splitter.

Thinkin XactLEE the same thing. My pile o pallets work table is getting pretty beat up too. Almost thinking my side table should be the height of the deck of the trailer so the rounds can be rolled right onto the splitting deck.

NATE379 said:
No idea how much it weighed, but a few of them it took some serious man noises to lift them.

There was no picking these up, all about flip and roll. The bigger rounds were 40" diameter. Even dry, that is 200 pounds. I have heard it estimated that green can be up to twice dry weight. 3 guys using my new acquisition made it relatively easy.

Attachments

• 082611 black oak rounds.jpg
    082611 black oak rounds.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 527
  • 082611 converyor plank.jpg
    082611 converyor plank.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 540
So did you put the conveyor on to the back of your trailer and splitter and just roll the splits from the trailer to the splitter?

SolarAndWood said:
Woody Stover said:
Yep, there are a few monsters in there. At least most of them are straight. Had to noodle that one in the bottom pic to get it in the trailer? :gulp:

lol, no. First time rookie noodling experience. 24" bar was only about 12" too short to do it clean.

Flip those bigguns up on their side, then cut them. Should look like a cookie standing on end, not laying flat on the ground. Makes life a lot easier. Most of the time you can get them started, and bust them with a wedge...don't even have to cut all the way thru.

I had a couple loads earlier in the year of black oak about the same size. I had to noodle about 3 pickup loads.

SolarAndWood said:
NATE379 said:
No idea how much it weighed, but a few of them it took some serious man noises to lift them.

There was no picking these up, all about flip and roll. The bigger rounds were 40" diameter. Even dry, that is 200 pounds. I have heard it estimated that green can be up to twice dry weight. 3 guys using my new acquisition made it relatively easy.

That looks like my trailer!

If Black Oak splits anywhere near as easy as Red and White you should be able to quarter them pretty easily by hand to make them manageable. Maybe a little noodle followed by hammer and wedge. Moving rounds that big as hard and dangerous work. Be careful, work smart, not hard, or at least smart and hard.

Solar, what you really need is a splitter that splits vertically so no lifting is involved! Sometimes one can use a cant hook for rolling the large rounds but very rarely will I need one for that. But I use the cant hook back in the woods quite a bit. Cut part way through a log, roll it using the cant hook and then finish the cut.

Nice looking firewood there too.

firefighterjake said:
So did you put the conveyor on to the back of your trailer and splitter and just roll the splits from the trailer to the splitter?

I dump over a bank and then roll them onto the splitter via the two splits you can kind of see in the right side of the pic. I like the idea though, pretty sure the conveyor is going to become a bigger part of the game as time goes on.

Attachments

• 081911 horizontal split with big round.jpg
    081911 horizontal split with big round.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 276
smokinjay said:
That looks like my trailer!

Back off man, that's not Silver Maple :lol:

Flatbedford said:
Moving rounds that big as hard and dangerous work. Be careful, work smart, not hard, or at least smart and hard.

Heard ya Flatbed. Been movin slowm using the flip and roll, ramps, etc to my advantage.

Backwoods Savage said:
Solar, what you really need is a splitter that splits vertically so no lifting is involved!

Got one ;-) I'd rather roll them onto the horizontal. No lifting involved.

Attachments

• vertical splitter.jpg
    vertical splitter.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 271
SolarAndWood said:
rdust said:

The pile of January wood growing eases the pain.

As in this coming January?

Status
Not open for further replies.