Splitter is going to eat well this weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SolarAndWood said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Solar, what you really need is a splitter that splits vertically so no lifting is involved!

Got one ;-) I'd rather roll them onto the horizontal. No lifting involved.

And that is why I stay away from horizontal and split vertically; no lifting involved. Well, you do have to throw the splits aside but that is for all methods. :)

No lifting is good with the big ones for sure. Still have to throw & stack but the pieces are much less weight.
I followed Dennis's advice, vertical & now pretty much all vertical splitting for me.

Are you sure you'll be splitting this weekend?? Might need a rain suit.

Maybe a life preserver?

gotta love those monster logs. i hear ya on a log lift.

Hiram Maxim said:
SolarAndWood said:
rdust said:
Just looking at them makes my back hurt!

The pile of January wood growing eases the pain.

As in this coming January?

I heard if I split it big and heap it, it will dry faster :lol:

bogydave said:
Are you sure you'll be splitting this weekend?? Might need a rain suit.

Hope not, we are harvesting hops on Sunday rain or shine.

Flatbedford said:
If Black Oak splits anywhere near as easy as Red and White you should be able to quarter them pretty easily by hand to make them manageable. Maybe a little noodle followed by hammer and wedge. Moving rounds that big as hard and dangerous work. Be careful, work smart, not hard, or at least smart and hard.

+1 ....hit those babies with the Fiskars first...then they'll be beggin' for mercy! %-P

wood-fan-atic said:
then they'll be beggin' for mercy! %-P

That would be futile, they know what is coming this morning :lol:

Attachments

• 082711 oak round and split.jpg
    082711 oak round and split.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 196
Thanks loon, you too. Looks like today is going to the be the better of the two this weekend.

picking up hay and spotted these the other day solar and too bad they didnt drop 20ft this way :cheese: gonna start dealing with them today ;-)

Murphy is pretty happy to be back out and about :)

DSC09821.jpg

Hope all of you in the Path of Irene stay safe. Get your supplies ready and God Bless.
There should be an abundance of Firewood once she comes through.

Solar, Good luck with them Big Rounds Today. Seem to have a good handle on your wood supply. I just ordered 6 more of the Rutland Stack n Store Brackets to make 6 more Wood racks. That will be good for another 3.5 Cord. I'm gonna be splitting all evening when I get home and most of the day tomorrow. I finished bucking the rest of my Ash yesterday. With the 2 big rows of Oak and the 1 row of Ash it should be a pretty good workout. Once I get this split. This should put me above the 3 year mark on Wood.Started on Mat 1st when I built my 1st rack. I got over 3 Cord for this year that is already over 1 year old and over half is 2 years. Have another 3 Cord of Silver maple, Ash, and Pine I cut in May is already at 20% or lower.

Thanks to everyone here in the Woodshed. My 1st year with the Englander 30 should be a good one. Its not even installed yet and I have wood coming out of my ears. Hope to get it installed by the end of Sept. Having a pretty hard time finding someone that will install it, in my area. Most shops only want to install the products they sell you. Not something you bought yourself.

This year will be good, next year should be great. I can't wait to put up some more Oak for the 2013-2014 season. Pushing on the 12-13 Cord mark now. After this splitting session. I am going to start to fill my 30x40 barn in the back.

Stay safe this weekend and I hope that everything works out for everyone.

Attachments

• 1%20Ash%202%20Oak.jpg
    1%20Ash%202%20Oak.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 1%20Ash%202%20Oak%20%232.jpg
    1%20Ash%202%20Oak%20%232.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 164
DexterDay said:
Solar, Good luck with them Big Rounds Today. Seem to have a good handle on your wood supply.

lol, would seem I needed more than luck. Put a dent in it but too hot and humid for this nonsense today.

Attachments

• 082711 big un.jpg
    082711 big un.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 082711 oak onion peeling.jpg
    082711 oak onion peeling.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 229
DexterDay said:
Hope all of you in the Path of Irene stay safe. Get your supplies ready and God Bless.

Solar, Good luck with them Big Rounds Today. Seem to have a good handle on your wood supply. I just ordered 6 more of the Rutland Stack n Store Brackets to make 6 more Wood racks. .

This may be a dumb question but what exactly are stack and store brackets?

Solar I hear you about not splitting when it's hot and humid. I have had a pile of rounds sitting out there all summer and have found no motivation to split them until it cools off.

Yep, I'll keep pickin away at it an hour or two at a time. The big rounds suck it out of you when it is hot and humid.

Attachments

• 082711 heap.jpg
    082711 heap.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 236
certified106 said:
DexterDay said:

Solar, Good luck with them Big Rounds Today. Seem to have a good handle on your wood supply. I just ordered 6 more of the Rutland Stack n Store Brackets to make 6 more Wood racks. .

This may be a dumb question but what exactly are stack and store brackets?
Rutland Stack n Store Brackets are what I use to build my Firewood racks. Just add 2x4's. I buy them from NorthlinExpress for about $18 a piece. I use 12 ft 2x4's. They hold a little over half a Cord at 4.5 ft tall. I am going to use 16 ft 2x4's on these last racks to finish the wood area up to the gravel driveway. Right now where the 3 rows of rounds are sitting, is where the new racks are going. The ends will be even with the others. But because of the garage sidewalk ending. I can extend them 4 ft further towards the drivway. I hope to get all of this done by the end of next weekend (split wood, build racks, fill racks, install more landscaping timbers and fill remaining area with River Rock).it cost a little bit to do it. But when there isn't a bunch of Rounds everywhere. It looks pretty nice. Its neat and organized. So the neighbor can't complain.,
Was free shipping and no tax. Love it.

Attachments

• 2%20New%20Racks.jpg
    2%20New%20Racks.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 8%20Firewood%20Racks.jpg
    8%20Firewood%20Racks.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 226
That's a whole lotta stackin there Dexter.

SolarAndWood said:
That's a whole lotta stackin there Dexter.
This pic was taken May 1st. When the Woodshed was still a Dog Kennel. This last 3 months has been nothing but Wood. Every free minute I get. But the work has paid off. I went from next to nothing, to a lot of something. After I get done with these next couple Cord. I can finally back off a bit and cut at my own leisure.

Those last pics look like you have got a lot done today. Even given the high heat and humidity. Good looking wood. There were several people that played a huge part in my motivation for putting this much up and doing it so fast. You can attribute yourself as one of those people. Thanks Solar, and the other dozen or so members. I did do a trade with a guy for about 2.5 Cord of 2 year old wood. But like I said before. The Wood I 1st did in May is plenty good enough now to burn. But in hindsight, I am still glad I did it. This gives my wood even more time. 1 year is good, 2 years is great, 3 years is Spectacular!! Thanks again.

Attachments

• another%20view%20of%20racks.jpg
    another%20view%20of%20racks.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 205
Looks good Dexter, I like those stack and stor's too, I built two 12' racks with them, I used pallets for the rest, hopefully by next year I have a wood shed but I still want to stack freshly cut wood outside til it seasons properly.

You guys wood supply is looking great.
Never have enough wood stacked up & drying IMO

Envy here :) :zip:

SolarAndWood said:
Yep, I'll keep pickin away at it an hour or two at a time. The big rounds suck it out of you when it is hot and humid.

Those big rounds are nasty anytime, unless your Smokin then the GF handles the splitting! ;-)

zp

zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:

Those big rounds are nasty anytime, unless your Smokin then the GF handles the splitting! ;-)

zp

LOL

Dexter, you don't have to go to a stove shop to find someone to install that stove. Most carpenters should be able to do the job. Just let them know what clearances are needed and they can do the rest.

certified106 said:
zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:

zp

LOL

And she doesn't need a Fiskars or hydraulics either :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.