Splitter is going to eat well this weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DexterDay said:
Thanks again.

My pleasure. I busted my ash getting ahead too. It's a lot easier when all you have to do is maintain.

SolarAndWood said:
certified106 said:
zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:
Yep, I'll keep pickin away at it an hour or two at a time. The big rounds suck it out of you when it is hot and humid.

Those big rounds are nasty anytime, unless your Smokin then the GF handles the splitting! ;-)

zp

LOL

And she doesn't need a Fiskars or hydraulics either :lol:

Solar, I'm thinking DexterDay has his wife do the stacking also. ;-)

zap

zapny said:

lol, I'm happy my wife puts up with me

zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:
certified106 said:
zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:
Yep, I'll keep pickin away at it an hour or two at a time. The big rounds suck it out of you when it is hot and humid.

Those big rounds are nasty anytime, unless your Smokin then the GF handles the splitting! ;-)

zp

LOL

zap
She puts on her fair share. She was about 8 months Pregnant and out there running the handle (Splitter) for me. Her Father (Passed 9 yrs ago) always made her help.

She also has my coffee and lunch made every morning before I get up at 4:30 a.m.. The mold she was made in (Only 28 yrs old) has not been used much since she was made. Been this way for over 10 yrs now. She is about 3 yrs younger than me, but we both get a sense of Pride from heating our home by ourselves. She puts up with my Wood, Woodstove, Splitter, Chainsaw, Pellet stove, Pellet, and General Hearth gathering Obsession/Addiction.

Dennis. I looked into Chimney sweeps around me also. I want whoever it is to be NFI certified. Although I have installed almost a dozen Pellet stoves. I have thought about just starting a Thread and posting a bunch of pics of my basement and the side of my house and asking a Million Questions and doing it myself. A Carpenter could prob do it. But I would rather myself do it (And my Insurance agent come look at it) or an NFI certified installer do it and the Ins. Co. not come out and be satisfied that a "Pro" did it.

I know I could do it. But its the Million questions I have. Like #1... Do I go through my overhang on my house andf maintain the minimum clearance to combustibles??? Or do I make custom brackets and bring the Class A out almost 1ft from my house so I don't have to cut into my overhang??? Should I buy a Damper??? Do I try and maintain the minimum Clearance to Combustibles or Exceed them (Dumb question, but a basement install and limited to space at ceiling)..

I went Way off topic.... I apologize..... Thanks again for all the help from all the Great people from Hearth.com. Best Forum out there. Bar None.

Dexter, we did the install ourselves about 32 years ago when we moved into this place. The insurance agent did come out and said it looked good to him. Later when we installed another stove we changed insurance companies and they asked us to build a false wall with 1" space and that is all they would require. When we installed the Fireview there was no questions asked. But it doesn't really matter what we or someone else has done, you have to do it the way you feel is best. Go for it! And it is good to hear about how your wife is. Sounds like you have a real winner there.

SolarAndWood said:
certified106 said:
zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:

zp

LOL

Just another trigger pull for her...She now has learned that if you feather it just right it will even split and stack with a 880! ;-)

Attachments

• Pink 880.jpg
    Pink 880.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 177
lol, wife just walked by and told me to not even think about getting her a pair of pink carhartts or she would kicketh upon my ash

SolarAndWood said:
lol, wife just walked by and told me to not even think about getting her a pair of pink carhartts or she would kicketh upon my ash

Get that picture up when it happens!

zap

bogydave said:
Are you sure you'll be splitting this weekend?? Might need a rain suit.

All good yesterday Dave but Irene has me shut down today. Operating a splitter with a 220 line running to it in the driving rain doesn't seem so smart.

zapny said:
Get that picture up when it happens!

happens all the time zap, usually it is just emotional abuse when I bring home another load of wood :lol:

smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:
certified106 said:
zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:

zp

LOL

Just another trigger pull for her...She now has learned that if you feather it just right it will even split and stack with a 880! ;-)
this is awesome jay. ive had my wife out with me the last couple days helping me get the wood shed loaded for winter. but thats as far as she'll go.

ecocavalier02 said:
smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:
certified106 said:
zapny said:
SolarAndWood" date="1314478866 said:

zp

LOL

this is awesome jay. ive had my wife out with me the last couple days helping me get the wood shed loaded for winter. but thats as far as she'll go.

Thats how it all starts.....She kept asking why I get to have all the fun on the saws why she doing all the stacking! lol We have a few aces and turning the place into a homestead is something she is very Passion about. (so she want to lean all of it)

My wife is looking at me now shaking her head that she'll never want a chainsaw. lol. she only helps when im really tired and i beg her. lol. but i appreciate her help.

ecocavalier02 said:
My wife is looking at me now shaking her head that she'll never want a chainsaw. lol. she only helps when im really tired and i beg her. lol. but i appreciate her help.

If she stacks much and watching you trigger pulling, it doesnt take long to see whats more fun! :cheese:

SolarAndWood said:
bogydave said:

All good yesterday Dave but Irene has me shut down today. Operating a splitter with a 220 line running to it in the driving rain doesn't seem so smart.

Smart!
Hope you didn't get flooded & No wood floated away.

bogydave said:

Thanks Dave. We are high and dry on a ridge. However, there is a lot of flooding in the lower areas and a lot of folks without power tonight.

bogydave said:
SolarAndWood said:
bogydave said:

Smart!
funny you say that. a guy down the street from me has his pile in the middle of the yard of rounds all covered with a tarp and he got about 4 feet of water in his yard and the rounds were floating. forget the tarp he should have put his wood in a boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.