splitter just won't start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kniffin50

Aug 9, 2008
in the notch- ct.
20 ton MTD 5hp Briggs 17yrs old. The old girl just won't go anymore. any suggestions as to where to get a new motor? Plenty of spark and gas just low on compression. Thanks for any and all replies. Rusty

Vertical or horizontal? Make sure you get a motor with a weighted flywheel and not a lawnmower engine that needs the weight of the blade.

Thanks it's a vertical. Didn't even think about the weighted flywheel. Rusty

More than likely its worn plum out but if not its more than likely the head. Sometimes just a retorque will restore compression and sometimes a new gasket will get it. If not small engine warehouse can fix you up cheap and quick.

Check out harbor freight they have chinese engines and are quite reasonably priced. Just bought a 5.5 horizontal for 99.95 w/coupon for my splitter and couldn't be happier. If your briggs is not burning oil I would think all it needs is a valve job.Fairly common issue with them.

It's probably tired. TSC has Briggs motors on the shelf. Northern Tool has an assortment also. Be sure you get correct crankshaft size and if the pump mounts direct there are threaded holes for it. Harbor Freight as well if you don't mind import, with coupon you can get a good price for under 100

The Harbor Freight motors are almost exact clones of honda from what I can tell. Two of my friends have purchased those replacement motors and they have held up very well one lawn mower and one tiller motor. Here is the link I am not sure if any would work for a splitter but here is there online catalog anyway.

Good luck and happy new year.
Pete

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engines.html

Yeah I replace the Briggs on my 24 year old MTD with the 6.5hp horizontal from HF and it gets it done like a champ for the last five or six years. The shaft was longer so I had to jerry rig the coupler housing/pump mount. Four bucks worth of longer bolts.

i guess I'm pretty fortunate, I'm still using the same engine the same engine my gramps got when he worked for the state back in the 40's. I'm using a single cylinder hand crank Wisconsin, never misses a beat.

Jeff

I installed a HF 6.5hp on a Troybilt Horse tiller 3 years ago and all seems good. I also have one on the shelf when needed. For the price they can't be beat. If the BS on that tiller has an aluminum cylinder bore then really it's not worth spending $ on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.